Author Topic: avast! braks SSL in FireFox  (Read 4984 times)

Offline aractus

avast! braks SSL in FireFox
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »
Issue on:

Windows 7 x64
FireFox 43.0.3 (32-bit)
avast! 10.3.2225

To recreate issue:

First make sure this option is ENABLED:

avast! > Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield > "Enable HTTPS scanning"

Then visit a secure website with a certificate issued AFTER 01/01/2016. Example: https://torrentfreak.com/

You will get the "This Connection is Untrusted" error, and it cannot be bypassed by clicking "Add Exception".

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: avast! braks SSL in FireFox
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
You are using a old(er) version of avast.
The SSL/TLS scanning problem has been solved already.

Follow these instructions :
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=181202.msg1281269#msg1281269

Offline aractus

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »
That's not a solution! Reinstall the program? The program itself is causing the problem, if I didn't make that clear. Causing a problem when browsing the internet. It's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
The bug is fixed you need to be on version 11.1.2246

Your current version does not have the fix

Offline aractus

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
It is not exactly straight-forward for an average user to work out what is causing the problem. In fact they may not even realise there is a problem and may simply believe their browser warning - since that's exactly what the warning is for. How is anyone meant to know that avast! is causing the issue? That's why it needs to be fixed. Or users should at least be notified by email that there is this serious bug affecting SSL connections when using the "Enable HTTPS scanning" setting in avast! and that they need to update the program. People are not going to instinctively work out on their own that there is a bug, and even if they do work that out they're not going to work out what's causing it. So if users need to take proactive action to fix the bug then avast! needs to inform them of this - it shouldn't be difficult to do that since everyone has to register an email address to use the program.

Offline lucD

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:47:56 AM »
I don't recall whether the default setting is to automatically update the program, or to download updates and offer their installation to the user. Either way, all users get the updates or are informed of the opportunity to install the updates unless they proactively choose not to have them. There's no need to do a full re-install if you don't want to, just right-click the Avast icon and select update -> program.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:50:22 AM by lucD »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »
Automatic updates are enabled by default so users should get new version automatically for the vps as well as the program.
It can ofcourse be that a user is not receiving the update due to a server problem, connection problem, problem with (other) software on their system etc.
Nevertheless it is the users responsibility to keep things (especially security software) up-to-date.
avast is informing users about new (beta) versions including the changes/fixes.

Unfortunately many users start behaving like little children when something goes wrong.
They break a vase and when mom asks who did it...
It wasn't me, it was him.

Offline aractus

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:39:25 PM »
Again, it doesn't solve the issue anyway. I installed the update today, and it hasn't updated the program - says it's waiting for me to restart my computer. Which will be in about 12-20 days since I've got a large video file encoding, and I'm not willing to waste what's been already done. So the bug is still present until I actually get a chance to restart.

It isn't the user's responsibility to discover for themselves what's causing a bug as serious as this. Who cares if they've changed a setting in the program? The point is that users need to be informed.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 03:47:57 PM »
As been said several times, the bug has been fixed.
So yes the installing the new version does solve the issue.

As also been said, users where informed.
avast can't help it if users don't read about the changes/fixes/new things.