Author Topic: Radlink - Access is denied  (Read 2410 times)

trgz

Radlink - Access is denied
« on: December 23, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »
Decided to ditch Trend PC-Cillen 2005 (up for renewal) and go with Avast as it's the freebie I keep recommending all my friends (and as such should be good enough for me). However I now get the 'Access is denied' warning box whenever I try to run a game that I've created a 'Radlink' to (using the Radlinker overclocking utility). The game runs fine if I try the exe directly or via a standard shortcut. I'm guessing it must be a permissions thing but I'm the only user ie the admin on my XP Home (SP2) machine. Killing avast (though not rebooting) doesn't make any difference.
Any thoughts?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Radlink - Access is denied
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 03:16:50 PM »
It seems that you've changed the avast settings without knowing what you were doing...
This is an option disabled by default. You can turn it off going to the Standard Shield provider settings, Advanced tab an unchecking 'Show detailed information on action performed'. You can do this for the other providers too.
Other thing is going to 'Troubleshooting' tab of settings and check for the option about games  8)
Welcome to avast. The most configurable antivirus around  8)
The best things in life are free.

trgz

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the speedy reply. I found the advanced tab and have tried your suggestion to 'Show detailed information on action performed' but that simply lists up every file it's checking (a nice feature nonetheless).
I have now started played around with the default settings (I had not actually 'changed the settings without knowing what I was doing' as you surmised) and nothing, including pausing or terminating the the Standard Shield makes a difference -  that tested, I have now reverted to 'Normal'.
The troubleshooting is of no use either (and don't forget Radlinker can be used for any type of program not just games - I created one for Notepad to test); I suspect that the tick regarding pop-ups is to prevent that annoying problem caused by desktop popups switiching the focus from a fullscreen program, ie game, that you might be running. The log shows no entries. I've scanned the Radlink and Radclock exe's and dll's just in case. In my ignorance I tried running the exe's and I don't get a warning (nothing else happens but I guess that's what you'd expect from such a utility). I tried adding the RADLNK extension to the list in the Advanced tab for the standard shield provider (but to no avail).
So to recap. I use Radlink to create custom shortcuts that include information for overclocking my GFX card but these shortcuts now will not run now I've uninstalled PC-cillen and gone over to Avast and I get an 'Access is denied' warning box whatever custome Radlink shortcut I try to run . Running the program with a standard shortcut is fine.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 10:32:42 PM »
Well, I'm not familiar with Radlink (so I don't know what exactly it does), but from your description it doesn't seem to have anything in common with avast! to me.
How about reinstalling Radlink, or recreating the shurtcuts, or something like that?

trgz

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 12:18:12 AM »
Spot-on with the uninstall/re-install approach (should have tried that first I guess) - oh well, something else to put down to experience :)
Glad that it's sorted as I did rather want Avast to completely & successfully replace Trend - I detest having to buy and download a new package every 12 months - I've been telling people about it now for over a year (and have had it running on my wife's new laptop) and everyones happy and virus free - I may even consider parting with some dosh for the Pro version!