Author Topic: Avast blocks Outlook.com and reports malware (javascript / trojan) w/ Firefox  (Read 12786 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Start your own topic in viruses and worms section and I will point you to instructions

REDACTED

I found a thread that mentioned possible infection in an extension. I removed the one I suspected and the alerts seem to have went away. Revisited several pages that were causing the alert and it is calm and quiet. Thanks for your help and if I have any further issues I will follow your advice.

REDACTED

Yes, this was a false positive, meaning we mistakenly flag a clean file as malicious. These things unfortunatelly happen :-[
Try manually updating Avast, then disabling and enabling all shields (right click tray icon -> Avast shields control). Let us know if it helped :).

I am still getting this false positive on the Outlook Inbox page on my computer (on two separate outlook accounts) but on my wife's computer there is no issue.  Both computers were updated per instructions and are currently on  database 160503-1 and program 11.2.2262. Have disabled then enabled shields.  Disabling the web shield on my computer allows the page to work ok

I've raised a ticket but not heard back yet - I have posted to keep this alive in this thread and to see if others are still getting this "error"

I think the script causing the problem is more than likely on the advertising panel on the right of the Outlook home page screen.  This is probably tuned to your click history / advertising preferences so I suspect that ensuring the warning is fixed might not be as easily reproducible as if it were part of the Inbox page proper.

Update: clearing Firefox cache does not help.  On IE, the warning does not pop up but the page has frozen and the ads bar does not appear, so it's still beign blocked /Update
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:25:43 AM by cliff.grover »

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
cliff.grover, please post a printscreen of the detection.

REDACTED

OK, I had a reply from the Support team and they advised
(1) use Repair under Windows Control Panel/Program Install/Delete/Modify and if that did not work (which it didn't) :
(2) use the AvastClear utility then reinstall frm a fresh download - which did work  :)