Author Topic: Just upgraded and now have a load of Error 42100's  (Read 4173 times)

TCPconflicts

Just upgraded and now have a load of Error 42100's
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:56:02 PM »
I just upgraded to  ver. 4.6.744, ran a bootscan and got a load of errors along the lines of:

File E:\Program Files\AV\ffdshow\help\DirectShow.html Error 42100 {Exception in polymorph viruses code.}
File E:\Program Files\AV\ffdshow\help\Encoding+library.html Error 42100 {Exception in polymorph viruses code.}
File E:\Program Files\AV\ffdshow\help\Keyboard+and+remote+control.html Error 42100 {Exception in polymorph viruses code.}
File E:\Program Files\AV\ffdshow\help\libmpeg2.html Error 42100 {Exception in polymorph viruses code.}
File E:\Program Files\AV\ffdshow\help\mplayer.html Error 42100 {Exception in polymorph viruses code.}
File E:\Program Files\AV\ffdshow\help\Prepare+baseclasses+library.html Error 42100 {Exception in polymorph viruses code.}
File E:\Program Files\AV\ffdshow\help\unrar.dll.html Error 42100 {Exception in polymorph viruses code.}

I see them in numerous program directories.  I'm running an old PII with Windows 2000 Pro and never had this happen before with Avast.    The only change I made was removing the pagefile.sys file from the "do not scan" in the Standard Shield Advanced option.  Strangely enough, after rebooting, it's back in the exclusion list with *.ini, *.txt, and *.log files.

How can I keep those files off of the exclusion list, and what do I do to avoid the 42100 error code?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Just upgraded and now have a load of Error 42100's
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 05:04:32 PM »
1. this is effectively only reporting files that it couldn't scan and doesn't mean that they are infected, although the error message is a little scary; an exception in a test/routine for polymorphic viruses, I think rather than code that might indicate a polymorphic virus.

I think that pagefile.sys may well be a default exclusion as this file can be huge 1GB or more in cases if this is set to 1.5 times RAM.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 05:12:22 PM »
Strange i use ffdshow too and i never saw this before...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 05:17:07 PM by ..::ReVaN::.. »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 08:40:04 PM »
Does the problem persist even if you restart the computer...?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

TCPconflicts

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 10:17:59 AM »
Does the problem persist even if you restart the computer...?

I just rebooted and performed another bootscan.  This time everything was ok and there were no error codes.  At first I thought it may have been a trial install of NOD32 or Kaspersky as a 2nd option to Avast.  (I've uninstalled both).  Many industry writers recommend having a 2nd AV program.  Unfortunately those two don't work well in tandem with another program (even when they're not memory resident).

My conclusion is that after my most recent Avast program upgrade, instead of doing a bootscan after a 2nd re-boot, I performed the bootscan before Windows 2000 pro fully reloaded again after the upgrade.    Hopefully, that was the reason for the Error 42100 all over the place.

I have several questions about the bootscan.   

1) Does this only scan the hard drives?
2)Can it be set up to scan the registry? 
3) How do you set up a bootscan from the normal user interface?  I can't seem to find the option.  I always have to switch to the simple user interface.
4) Shouldn't the pagefile.sys file be scanned on occasion? 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:57:42 PM »
1) Does this only scan the hard drives?

Honestly, I don't know... depends on what you'd want to scan. The scan occurs quite early in the boot process, so I'm not sure if it'd be possible to scan things like USB drives, network shares, ...

2)Can it be set up to scan the registry?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "registry scan", but I don't think so.

3) How do you set up a bootscan from the normal user interface?  I can't seem to find the option.  I always have to switch to the simple user interface.

Check the "Scheduler" folder / toolbar.

4) Shouldn't the pagefile.sys file be scanned on occasion?

I don't think so. This file is only used to temporarily store the content of memory (to be swapped out) and is not reused between restarts.