Poll

Do you think that viruses will attack mobile phones when mobile internet becomes more widespread maybe in the future? :)

Yes
8 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Viruses other then on PCs  (Read 4960 times)

iceydragon

Viruses other then on PCs
« on: November 28, 2003, 10:23:29 PM »
I was wondering! Do you think that viruses will attack mobile phones when mobile internet becomes more widespread maybe in the future? Just a question I had on my mind thats all  :)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Viruses other then on PCs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 10:45:22 PM »
yes F-secure already has antivirus for certian cell comminucators (and there are ALWAYS mac viruses  >:()
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 12:25:31 AM »
I've changed the voting poll (you forgot to put your question there :)  ;D).

Yes, I think there definitely be viruses for smart mobile phones connected to the internet. And we can have two basic schemes (and of course many between them).

1) the OS, applications and Internet connection will be well designed and implemented. The viruses will be a very interesting piece of code as a proof of concept that they can exist but they will not mean the real danger

2) the software producers will not learn their lessons from our current OS/application situation. The viruses will be the biggest nightmare due to which many cell phone networks may collapse...

Your bets  ;D ??

Pavel

iceydragon

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 05:53:29 PM »
Judging by the way the internet on mobile phones is now I will have to say the second option. I dont think the companies will think about the potential threat of viruses. Yes, its not in an advanced stage but I still think it will be forgotten or thought of too late. The worrying thing is will (like say email, MSN Msgr etc.) the viruses be able to use the address book to spread. If this becomes possible then it will be extremely dangerous. The amount of people that have hundreds of numbers in address books on mobiles is unbelievable!  :D