Author Topic: SafeZone browser - Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 31282 times)

Offline DaveTheRave

• Avast team
SafeZone browser - Frequently Asked Questions
« on: February 27, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
What is SafeZone browser?

SafeZone browser is a web browser with built-in privacy features from Avast that is available when you install or upgrade to any paid version of Avast Antivirus 2016. It can be accessed directly from the Avast Antivirus user interface from the Tools menu. Rather than adding the Avast Online Security and other add-ons to secure your regular browser, you can use a browser designed with safety features built in. There is no need to install additional privacy extensions and features. For maximum security, 3rd party extensions are blocked. SafeZone browser combines convenience with security with these features and more:

-Security provided by integrated anti-malware layers
-Specialized browsing modes for safe transactions and protection from unsafe content
-Convenient video downloads
-Price comparison on trusted shopping sites
-Ad-blocking
-Filters that block pages with poor reputations

How can I get SafeZone browser?

SafeZone browser automatically is downloaded when you install or upgrade to Avast Premier 2016, Avast Internet Security 2016, and Avast Pro 2016. A shortcut icon appears on your desktop by default.

If you have already installed Avast 2016, but SafeZone browser does not appear to be installed on your PC, make sure you have restarted your computer to complete the installation. If it still does not appear you can add SafeZone components to Avast as described in the following article: https://www.avast.com/en-gb/faq.php?article=AVKB96

How can I be sure that my browsing is secure?

If you attempt to open a website that SafeZone browser identifies as suspicious or malicious, it is automatically opened in a Shielded window to prevent any threats from reaching your browser or PC. Shielded windows also prevent your browsing history from being saved.

When Avast Online Security is enabled, many other safety features are available. For example, your searches are verified as authentic, and website reputations are visible right in the search results.

How does SafeZone protect my privacy?

The browser offers opening banking sites in Bank Mode (formerly known as Pay Mode). Bank Mode isolates the session and protects it from keyloggers and other potential malware or spyware. In Bank Mode you can be sure that your financial transactions are safe and your activities are not being tracked.

What add-ons are included with SafeZone browser?

By default SafeZone browser comes with Ad Blocker, Web-Reputation, Video Downloader and Safe Price add-ons. Click the Settings icon (three dots) in the top right corner to enable or disable specific add-ons.

What is Ad Blocker?

Ad Blocker is a built-in feature to block advertisements based on community monitored lists.

What is Video Downloader?

Video Downloader allows you to easily download video/audio content from your favorite sites - YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, Facebook, Instagram and more.

What is SafePrice?

SafePrice is an add-on from Avast. It monitors well-known shopping platforms to help you find better offers on products you search for. Find the best price while ensuring that your results are from trusted sellers.

This feature can be enabled or disabled according to your preferences. Click the Settings icon (three dots) in the top right corner to enable or disable specific add-ons.

What is Passwords?

Passwords is an easy to use password manager as part of Avast 2016. This new feature stores your sensitive information securely and allows you to quickly log-in and fill forms.

Passwords also offers many useful and convenient features to help you manage passwords across all your devices.
For more information about Passwords, please read the following article: https://www.avast.com/en-gb/faq.php?article=AVKB254

What is Bank Mode?

Bank Mode protects against a potentially hijacked host or network, and also prevents keyloggers and network-based eavesdropping from capturing any of your data.
SafeZone browser offers opening banking and shopping sites in Bank Mode. Bank Mode is indicated by the black window frame and separated desktop. You can switch between your normal desktop and Bank Mode desktop easily using buttons "Switch back" and "Bank Mode".
You can also manually open a window in Bank Mode if it is not launched automatically. Click the credit card icon in the top right corner of the screen and enter the web address you want to visit in Bank Mode.

What is a private window?

Private windows erase any browsing data once you close them - history, image cache, passwords, everything. You can browse more comfortably on public computers knowing your browsing activity and passwords are removed when you close all private windows.

How can I control settings for SafeZone browser?

All settings for the secure add-ons in SafeZone browser are managed in the Settings screen. Click the Settings icon (three dots) in the top right corner and then select All settings. Click the tabs on the left side of the screen to view your settings options in each category.

How can I add a browsing filter list?

Browsing filters can keep out harmful or unwanted content by blocking sites which have been identified by the community-based EasyList. To enable filters, click the Settings icon (three dots) in the top right corner and then select All settings. Select SafeZone Add-ons in the sidebar. Tick the box next to a filter in the list, or select a filter from the drop-down menu and click Add.

You can also filter out specific sites in the field for Add your own filter. To add a single item to the filter list, enter the URL of a website or domain you want to block and click Add.

How can I whitelist certain URLs or domains?

To browse trusted pages, you can add URLS to a whitelist. This makes exceptions to websites which would otherwise be blocked by an enabled filter. Manage whitelisted URLs in Settings → SafeZone Add-ons.

How do I change the browser's language?

You can set your language preference in the Settings page:
1 - Click the Settings icon (three dots) in the top right corner and then select All settings.
2 - Click Browser in the sidebar.
3 - Under Languages, choose your language from the drop-down menu.

How do I delete items from my browsing history?

1 - Click the Settings icon (three dots) in the top right corner and then select History.
2 - Hover over any entry and click the X that appears on the right.
3 - To delete all browsing history, including cookies and more, click the Clear Browsing Data... button on the top-right of the page.

How do I make SafeZone browser my computer's default browser?

1 - Click the Settings icon (three dots) in the top right corner and then select All settings.
2 - Click Browser in the sidebar.
3 - Under Default browser, click the button Make Avast SafeZone my default browser.

How can I import bookmarks and settings from other browsers?

SafeZone browser allows you to import browsing history, bookmarks, saved passwords, cookies, and more from your other browsers. If you want a more seamless experience between your browsers, importing browsing data can catch SafeZone up with what you've been doing in other apps.

To import browser data:

2 - Click Browser on the sidebar.
3 - Under Default browser, click the Import Bookmarks and Settings... button.
4 - You can import browser data from the old SafeZone as well as Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera. Select the data           you want to import and click Import.

If the import fails for some reason, for example when the browser that you are importing from is not listed, is running or has multiple profiles (e.g. Chrome), there is an alternative method:
1 - Manually export bookmarks from a browser into HTML format (if you are not sure how to do this, consult the Help in the browser) and 2 - save it in a familiar location.
3 - Go to Settings → Browser → Default browser → Import Bookmarks and Settings...
4 - Select "Bookmarks HTML file" from the drop-down menu.
5 - Click Choose file and open the HTML file you saved as an export.

How can I change the default search provider?

2 - Click Browser on the sidebar.
4 - Under Search, select the preferred search provider from the drop-down menu.
The changes are applied to the start page as well as the shortcuts page.

What if Bank Mode does not load properly?

If you are having trouble loading Bank Mode, please try to restart the browser. If it does not help, please update your Avast to the latest version and restart your PC.

1 - In Avast, go to Settings (gear icon) and select Update from the side menu.
2 - Click Update in the Program section.
3 - When the update is complete, restart your PC.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:24:53 AM by ondrejz »