Author Topic: Avast is slowing down my internet access.  (Read 32569 times)

bascheew

Avast is slowing down my internet access.
« on: December 31, 2005, 10:31:42 PM »
As of about 2-3 weeks ago I noticed my internet connection started to slow down dramatically.  Often IE will just hang on a URL (the status bar will slowly progress and the Windows logo will wave) until I kill Avast and then the page will come up immediately.   The internet runs fine when I stop On Access Protection and then slows down (and as I said sometimes hangs indefinitely on some pages) when I enable On Access Protection.  Any ideas?

I have Avast Home Edition version 4.6.744.
Windows Media Center 2005
Athlon 2400+, 1GB RAM.

galooma

Re: Avast is slowing down my internet access.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 10:42:02 PM »
Hi and welcome ,
There was an update a while back that may have inadvertently changed your standard sheild settings from normal to high . just check this by double clicking "A" ball and look at standard sheild setting. Beyond that i cold suggest a little utility called TCP optimiser that i tried out a while back . Made a significant difference to my pc performance http://www.infos-du-net.com/en/telecharger/SG-TCP-Optimizer.html
good luck  :)

bascheew

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:11:35 PM »
I checked and it was set at normal not high. 

TCP optimiser doesn't directly address my Avast On-Access Protection problem I'm having.  As I said as soon as I disable On Access Protection it fixes the slowdown.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 12:21:49 AM »
Totally no need to "kill" whole resident protection as you mentioned... You just have to "kill" WebShield and it will give you the same effect. I am also experiencing the same for example when I want to take a look at some MSN messenger account profile. Can't see anything except dark blue background until I "kill" web shield for a moment, and then of course, I enable it again...

Also see what's your sensitivity in web shield... some tweakings may help. But for sure, you do not want to be without standard shield and some other providers. Standard shield is a standard part of On-Access Protection, so when you stop it, everything goes off. When you are having troubles with some web pages, but only if you are 110% sure that those pages doesn't contain malicious stuff (I mean, if you trust them 110%), then you should just terminate WebShield provider for a moment. As I said, only if you trust them !  ;)

Happy New Year !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

bascheew

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 01:26:45 AM »
It's funny you mentioned MSN, because one of the pages that always hangs is when I log-in to Hotmail.  Maybe in this case it's related to Microsoft's Passport?

Also thanks for the tip.  It does un-hang once I stop the WebSheild service only.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 02:54:44 AM by bascheew »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 04:51:34 PM »
There used to be an issue with logging in to Hotmail (and similar pages), where you are redirected to an https page (which avast doesn't monitor) and then to another page. I can't recall what the resolution was (perhaps someone else can), I think it may have concerned a firewall/browser and web shield. The resolution may have been to manually setup the browser to use web shield's proxy.

So a forum search for can't log in to Hotmail might bring some info.

Do you use Zone Alarm?
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6871
http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-home-webshield.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:55:46 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »
In my humble opinion sucha hassle for every single one of those new users, not familiar with tweakings of any program, especially not familiar with tweaking of antivirus providers. That should be simplified somehow... something like one-click-and-all-set option.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 12:16:46 AM »
I am not experiencing any problem logging into Hotmail (either with Firefox or with IE) and not seeing Web Shield causing interruption to any page delivery (I am also using ZoneAlarm) . 

While that is no comfort to those experiencing these difficulties it suggests that some other factor is involved.  Perhaps a member of the avast! team can offer some thoughts on how the affected users might isolate the problem.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 12:31:41 AM »
I have to say that I don't have problems signing into my hotmail account at all. However, problems starts to show up once you try to check on someone else's Hotmail profile... for example, from within MSN messenger, right click on some of your contact names, and chose VIEW PROFILE.

Logging into my Hotmail e-mail account is not a problem in my case... I can't say anything in bascheew's name, we should get some feedback from him as well.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 01:31:59 AM »
I do not use MSN Messenger, but, in the interests of research I just installed it.  I set up a couple of my Hotmail accounts with profiles and added them as contacts in MSN Messenger. 

The profiles I set up were very simple (without pictures and just basic information) but  when I selected "View Profile" for any of the contacts the profile display opens immediately in Firefox (my default browser) and shows the contact info.

It occirs to me that it may be possible that MSN (and Hotmail for that matter) may have a slightly different sequence of http interactions in different geographical installations so my experience in California may not be identical to yours in Canada or others in Europe or elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 01:34:22 AM by alanrf »

Atomic_Ed

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 02:57:10 AM »
I am running the latest version of Avast Pro and have this same problem, just after the past updates of the Avast program occured.

I have an Athlon64 3200+ with 1.25gb Ram running on XP Pro x64 and now my system is running like a 386! The whole system is down to a crawl compared to before the updates and my Internet access is hit or miss whether a page will even ever load.

I read this thread and checked my webshield settings and they were in fact on high but even on standard it makes no difference. What is causing this horrendous slowdown?

I hope someone has an answer soon or I will have no choice but to uninstall Avast from my system, which I really do not want to do.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 05:20:43 AM »
Atomic_Ed,

have you identied any tasks in the Windows Task Manager that seem to have very high CPU utilization?  Have you tried turning off the various avast! shields one by one to see if you can identify one that is causing your problem? 

Does turning off the Web Shield remove the problem with web page loading?

Atomic_Ed

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 10:17:35 AM »
Atomic_Ed,

have you identied any tasks in the Windows Task Manager that seem to have very high CPU utilization?  Have you tried turning off the various avast! shields one by one to see if you can identify one that is causing your problem? 

Does turning off the Web Shield remove the problem with web page loading?

Yes I have checked Task Manager and have the same number of processes running with nothing new showing up. I have disabled the webshield and it made a big difference in speed and when I disable on access scanners, well everything runs quick again and the slowdowns go away. Definately something to do with the Avast resident modules but it seems as if the webshield is only part of it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »
Definately something to do with the Avast resident modules but it seems as if the webshield is only part of it.
Maybe a driver is 'conflicting' with WebShield...
Do you use any local proxy? Do you have any other residents running in background?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 03:48:05 PM »
I use WebWasher (to filter ads). It runs as a proxy. Could that be the problem. The internet access is not slow here, but I can't scroll a web page before all items are loaded when the WebShield is on. If I set WebShield to "Pause" then all is normal. Must be a WebShield thing.

BTW:  Is WebShield necessary?  Won't Standard Shield catch all?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud