Author Topic: Xp 64 Boot Scan  (Read 4196 times)

jaidka

Xp 64 Boot Scan
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:24:19 AM »
The Boot scan option is greyed out and not available.Is there anything I can do to enable it?

TIA,

Jaidka

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Xp 64 Boot Scan
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:49:10 AM »
The Boot scan option is greyed out and not available.Is there anything I can do to enable it?
Strange, you're using Windows XP 64 bits and the option is not available?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:52:13 AM »
The boot-time scanner is indeed not available on WinXP x64. There's nothing you can do about it, I'm afraid. :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 12:58:47 AM »
The boot-time scanner is indeed not available on WinXP x64. There's nothing you can do about it, I'm afraid. :(
Thanks Igor. I didn't know that...
Is the architecture of Vista so different that does not allow this?
I'm pretty curious about what Vista is promissing to us... a revolution?
The best things in life are free.

Datagg

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:21:27 AM »
Thanks Igor. I didn't know that...
Is the architecture of Vista so different that does not allow this?
I'm pretty curious about what Vista is promissing to us... a revolution?

Heres some info on it http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.aspx

Revolutionary, unknown. I just ordered the X64 for my comp, yet windering if i just should have waited.

Discuss

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 09:52:12 AM »
I can see there's a little confusion here... Windows XP x64 (i.e. 64bit OS) and Windows Vista are two completely different things.
Today, there are 2 version of Windows XP - 32bit and 64bit. When Windows Vista is released, there will also be 2 versions - 32bit and 64bit (well, it seems there'll be many versions of Vista, but we're talking about the "number of bits" right now).

Now, the boot-time scanner supports just 32bit NT-based platforms right now. So, it works under the "ordinary" (32bit) Windows XP, and it also works under 32bit Windows Vista (even the current beta versions, I hope). Right now, 64bit platforms are not supported. I hope it will change in the future (the non-Intel versions of avast! engine are the first step towards it, but it will probably take some time.

jaidka

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 05:32:34 PM »
Thanks Igor,

I thought my installation was screwed up.Hope they sort this issue as soon as possible.

Vijay

H.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 05:50:41 AM »

Now, the boot-time scanner supports just 32bit NT-based platforms right now. So, it works under the "ordinary" (32bit) Windows XP, and it also works under 32bit Windows Vista (even the current beta versions, I hope). Right now, 64bit platforms are not supported. I hope it will change in the future (the non-Intel versions of avast! engine are the first step towards it, but it will probably take some time.

Hi Igor,
Has there been any progress towards enabling Boot Scan for 64 bit XP?
Harry

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »
Not yet, I'm afraid.