Author Topic: VPS update fail  (Read 3263 times)

pscoffoni

VPS update fail
« on: January 06, 2006, 02:04:56 AM »
Hello,

For a few day, avast doesnt update the VPS. I donwnload the last VPS and try to install. I get this error message (view the bitmap).

Thanks for your help and your wonderfull software

Philippe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VPS update fail
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 04:50:07 AM »
Please, check the date/time of your system.
Also, if your Registration key is still valid or you need to register again (see the About dialog of the 'a' blue icon).
Do you use a firewall? Is avast.setup allowed to connect?
When you said that you've downloaded the update, are you referring to the vpsupd.exe file?
The best things in life are free.

pscoffoni

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:16:56 PM »
Please, check the date/time of your system.
Also, if your Registration key is still valid or you need to register again (see the About dialog of the 'a' blue icon).
My registration key was still valid and the dat/time of my computer was ok. I've registered again, but the problem remaind
When you said that you've downloaded the update, are you referring to the vpsupd.exe file?
Yes, look at my post, you've got a screenshots with the error message displayed by the vpsupd.exe file

Thanks for your help

Philippe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 11:20:44 PM »
Yes, look at my post, you've got a screenshots with the error message displayed by the vpsupd.exe file
It shouldn't be a problem with other language installations... Seems that your avast is not in English, am I right?
Which avast version are you using? (see About dialog).

pscoffoni

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »
Hello,

It shouldn't be a problem with other language installations... Seems that your avast is not in English, am I right?
Yes, you're right, I'm French, look at my poor English  ::). So I'm using the French version
Which avast version are you using? (see About dialog).
The last : 4.6.744.
I've already reinstalled avast after downloading the last setup from the web site, but the problem is the same. I've tried with the English version and it's always the same message error.
Look at this message, they are from the avast's log :
07/01/2006 21:13:56   SYSTEM   480   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 00000005.
07/01/2006 21:13:59   SYSTEM   480   An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs. 

Philippe

pscoffoni

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 09:50:11 PM »
I've just found the problem !!!!!

I'm using Kerio Personal Firewall, and I've deleted all the rules (firewall + application's authorization) for Avast. I've make new rules and the update works fine !

Sorry  :-[

I'm using avast en kerio on my computer for a while and never had problem.

Thank you very much for your help

Philippe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 09:54:23 PM »
Yes, you're right, I'm French, look at my poor English  ::). So I'm using the French version
No... sorry, I was not refering to your English... by the way, it's not that bad, we can understand.
I was referring to the language as I do not use the English too but I have it installed.
Your problem seems, at the first time, to be related with language (as I had once in the past). So, this is why I asked for your avast language.

I've tried with the English version and it's always the same message error.
Look at this message, they are from the avast's log :
07/01/2006 21:13:56   SYSTEM   480   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 00000005.
07/01/2006 21:13:59   SYSTEM   480   An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs. 

Philippe, are you using the administrator account? Error 0000005 means 'access denied'...

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation (read http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html)
4. Boot
5. Logon into the Administrator account and install again by this command on the folder you've donwload and save the install file: setupeng.exe /forceinstall
    Where setupeng.exe is the name of the executable

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 09:56:39 PM »
I'm using avast en kerio on my computer for a while and never had problem.
Huuppyyy  8)
Glad to know. At each avast update, the new components should ask for permition by Kerio.
Sometimes, the firewall (not only Kerio but ZoneAlarm too) does this and you did the right thing: start the rules again.
Well, feel free to come back, help the others, enjoy the forum  8)