Author Topic: Updated Anti-virus Detection Stats - WMF variants  (Read 4541 times)

TAP

Updated Anti-virus Detection Stats - WMF variants
« on: January 06, 2006, 06:57:48 AM »
Updated Anti-virus Detection Stats

We have an update to the anti-virus detection stats for WMF variants. There’s both good news and not so good news in it.

AV-Test tested 206 variants and the following products detected all 206:

Avast! <----------------------
BitDefender
ClamAV
eSafe
eTrust-VET
eTrust-VET (BETA)
F-Secure
F-Secure (BETA)
Kaspersky
McAfee
McAfee (BETA)
Nod32
OneCare
Panda (BETA)
Sophos
Symantec
Symantec (BETA)

Unfortunately some, including some well-known ones, missed quite a few. These are the products that missed some and the number they missed:

Fortinet 18
Fortinet (BETA) 18
AntiVir 24
eTrust-INO 25
eTrust-INO (BETA) 25
Panda 25
Ikarus 26
Norman 26
Ewido 47
AVG 59
Trend Micro (BETA) 60
VirusBuster 61
QuickHeal 63
Trend Micro 63
Dr Web 93
VBA32 110
Command 119
F-Prot 119

(BETA) refers to beta definitions, as opposed to the release-level ones.

http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer/archive/2006/01/04/39774.aspx

Staind

Re: Updated Anti-virus Detection Stats - WMF variants
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 10:12:05 AM »
OneCare already seems to be doing quite well, I think it will turn out to be a nice rounded product, although I heard it was a system hog. :|

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »
OneCare already seems to be doing quite well, I think it will turn out to be a nice rounded product, although I heard it was a system hog. :|

Just another System Works in a Clown$ Suit and Beta at that ;D
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 09:19:24 PM »

Hmmm ... I have OneCare but do not notice any system slow down at all.    :)

Staind

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »
My experience with OneCare was this:

I didn't like it because it kept popping up saying I need to back up, among other things the firewall is not that configurable (it's almost just like the windows firewall with outbound protection tacked on).  I go to uninstall it, and it has issues uninstalling - but magically removes itself.  Except, it kept all the ports blocked on my computer and of course since the program was uninstalled I had no access to blocking/unblocking them - so I couldn't use a lot of different programs.  Eventually I had to do a system restore, back to when I had norton installed, and norton was totally screwed up by the system restore and took about 200 clicks of "ignore the fact that you can't find ccsomething.exe" and about 20 cups of coffee. :)

My recommendation is NOT to install OneCare.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 10:06:12 PM »
Use QEMU/VMWare/VirtualPC for testing when in doubts. It's indeed slower but may save many grey hairs hehe ;D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 11:32:19 PM »
Shouldn't be that slower, at least pure virtualizers (VMWare, VirtualPC - supposing you're not running VirtualPC for MAC ;)).
But keep in mind that malware may detect the presence of the virtual machine, and behave differently there. Or, one day, it might even be able to spread out of it.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 09:32:24 AM »
I doubt that will happen or at least on a very small scale. Virtualization software isn't that widely used as many might think, at least not at home (users).
Though i always remove and disable networking services and disable networking support when testing malware samples, though i found that host running a virtualpc (or any other similar software) gets protected by HTTP scanner (avast! Web Shield or NOD32 IMON). So if you download malware in virtual PC through browser, avast! will trigger warning on host system and intercepted malware even before it enters virtual environment. Almost like gateway that filters garbage out of the traffic :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog