Author Topic: new versions rant  (Read 4052 times)

REDACTED

new versions rant
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
Hi,
I am glad for avast free to be free, of course, but thats not a reason to not to complain about this:
with every version update, certain options get turned ON although they were turned OFF. interestingly, these options have to do with me sending data to avast. more interestingly, these options tend to get moved within the avast interface so they are hard to find and at first appear to be removed. examples?
participate in avast community
participate in data sharing
but of course it is just an accident, isnt it?
but seriously, for an antivirus to behave like a virus is a disgrace :-(

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: new versions rant
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:30:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I don't say it didn't happen on your computer (I'll try to ask devs about it), but if it was, it wasn't definitely intentionally. Avast Update process is very complex, because it provides install/uninstall/repair scenarios for all Avast editions, incl. business. It also provides upgrade scenarios from Free->Pro/Premium, but also downgrade to Free from Pro/Premium, etc. We try to simplified this process to next version. We have many millions users participating in Avast Community, so we don't need to do such dirty tricks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »
I don't use the consumer version of avast anymore, but there there was a option (and still is?) to backup settings.
Perhaps it is a idea to use that option.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 03:44:01 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I don't say it didn't happen on your computer (I'll try to ask devs about it), but if it was, it wasn't definitely intentionally. Avast Update process is very complex, because it provides install/uninstall/repair scenarios for all Avast editions, incl. business. It also provides upgrade scenarios from Free->Pro/Premium, but also downgrade to Free from Pro/Premium, etc. We try to simplified this process to next version. We have many millions users participating in Avast Community, so we don't need to do such dirty tricks.

Thanks for your feedback pk. I am glad to hear that. I have been working in software development for more than twenty years so I can imagine the complexity of this to some extent ;-) I have to point out though, that this issue has been with me for many years and as far as I remember, it only happens to the mentioned type of settings. I am not disputing your claim. I am merely giving you my perspective. The fact that sending suspicious files to avast is turned ON by default and is hidden from user's view by use of a pull down option is also rather, well, untrustworthy. Again I am not accusing avast of anything, but try to imagine how these findings make me feel.

PT
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:48:39 AM by p.t »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 03:45:58 AM »
I don't use the consumer version of avast anymore, but there there was a option (and still is?) to backup settings.

Thanks for your reply, Eddy. This option is available in Free version as well and I use it. I don't find it wise to use it between program versions though.

:)
PT

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 04:07:05 PM »

Thanks for your reply, Eddy. This option is available in Free version as well and I use it. I don't find it wise to use it between program versions though.

PT

Personally this is when I use the Backup settings - if anything occurs in the program update you have the settings saved - of course if nothing untoward happens in an update you don't need it. If you do, as in this instance it could have been used.

By between program versions you mean a large jump in versions, I would agree, but you may not know what these changes may be. So I would say it takes a few seconds use it. I don't do it every time, for me it can be between regular and beta testing sessions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Skakara

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 06:27:39 PM »
So I would say it takes a few seconds use it.
And you need to trust that nothing has changed that would make the import fail (for some settings). I always check settings manually after I upgrade. Takes only a minute or two, and fortunately there are not updates often.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
And you need to trust that nothing has changed that would make the import fail (for some settings). I always check settings manually after I upgrade. Takes only a minute or two, and fortunately there are not updates often.

After the program update you can check and see what has changed and see if the settings are the same. Essentially it is there is you have a problem with the new update and would have to go back to an old version or restore your settings.

Not having a backup of your settings and there is nothing that you can do, having a backup and you at least have options.

Your system your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Skakara

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 07:58:41 PM »
Of course, I just pointed out that importing older backups might not work properly for newer versions.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 10:25:22 PM »

All the replies are totally valid. With all due respect I disagree on the "minute or two" though. There is a vast number of options and what is worse - they get adjusted, moved, renamed, etc. from time to time. Checking them properly takes a lot more time and sometimes I just dont have it.
Also I really dont think this is something I should be concerned with at all.

PT