Author Topic: Outlook 2003 SR2 Plugin  (Read 4477 times)

usFederalist

Outlook 2003 SR2 Plugin
« on: January 13, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »
I was running Avast 4.6 current version with Windows XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2 with no problem - splash screen when starting Outlook - says subsystem running etc - then I reinstalled Windows XP and Office 2003 this time adding the Business Contact Manager & Avast and upgraded to SP2 for Windows XP and Office 2003

A couple days ago I got a popup systems window saying need to insert disk that wouldn't close when I was running Outlook 2003 - it finally closed when I forced Outlook to close - but when I ran Outlook again it said Outlook ran into a serious error with the avast plugin - do you want to remove it - you can reactivate it with Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Addin Manager - the popup saying to insert disk when running Outlook went away

I ran virus check - no viruses - I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled it

Now I am trying to get Avast addin to work on Outlook 2003 - says plugin activated but no splash screen or doesnt say Avast service is running when running Outlook 2003

Do I need to remover Business Contact Manager or reinstall Outlook 2003 - will I get the popup that wont close saying to insert disk again ?

usFederalist

Re: Outlook 2003 SR2 Plugin
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 07:46:34 PM »
I got an email in my inbox with the following:
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0602-2, 01/11/2006), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

But nothing in my http msn/hotmail email like that

Still no splash page or sign of Avast Outlook/Exchange plugin running - says waiting for subsystem to start

wxboss

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 05:15:51 AM »
Have you unistalled Avast! and then reinstalled since your upgrade to SP2? I have XP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2, yet I installed Avast! after the upgrade and I get the Avast! screen splash when I open Outlook. I also have Avast! insert a message into outgoing emails, so I know that it is working properly with Outlook

Try this:
Uninstal Avast.
Delete any left over folders or files left by Avast
Reboot
Install Avast again and see if that works.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 05:19:08 AM by wxboss »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 05:30:57 AM »
Are you running any other antivirus in this computer (specially ClamWin or AVG)?
Are you using Outlook to access the HTTP mail? Or, on contrary, you're using WebMail (a browser)?
The best things in life are free.

usFederalist

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »
wxboss - I did reinstall Avast but didn't delete the folders - doubt that's it

Tech - yes I did try another antivirus in between the time I got the system popup giving bogus message to insert a disk - Computer Associates eTrust® EZ Antivirus 2005 1yr trial - but wasn't satisfied with it - didn't have all the features Avast did - uninstalled it before reinstalling Avast - and I am using Outlook 2003 SP2 to read my http mail instead of Internet Explorer - I am thinking that I had a virus give me the bogus popup to insert a disk to disable Avast to leave Outlook vulernable that Avast did not detect or delete

usFederalist

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 10:39:54 AM »
I had been just looking at Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Addin Manager > Avast4 check box - but found another way to re-enable Avast - Help > About Microsoft Office Outlook > Disabled Items - listing Avast - click on Avast & hit the enable button !!!!

Now I get the splash screen & Avast saying the Outlook plugin is running

But that still doesn't resolve my concern or bug with Avast giving me the system popup screen saying to insert a CD-Rom Disk that I couldn't close that the system traced to Avast telling me to disable the Avast Outlook plugin in the 1st place  :(

wxboss

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 01:35:24 PM »
I'm glad you got it up and running. Could have been that the Business Contact Manager (was this an MS plugin for Outlook?) didn't play nicely with Avast.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the error you received prior to fixing this problem. As long as everything runs smoothly from here on out, you needn't really worry about it.

I've had certain programs wreak havoc with other programs and they would generate all kinds of strange errors as well as freezing certain apps., and trying to figure out what was going on would be a nightmare. Since you had recently reinstalled/upgraded the OS along with some other apps, it was hard for you to isolate the problem since you had a lot of changes over a short period of time.