Author Topic: Cant sign-in to Avast account form the Avast UI  (Read 6499 times)

REDACTED

Cant sign-in to Avast account form the Avast UI
« on: May 14, 2016, 02:12:41 PM »
Hi,

I have searched the forum before posting but cannot find a relevant answer so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere :

I recently became aware that one of the computers I monitor through my Avast account had stopped reporting its status.  This PC is in fact my elderly father's computer for whom I look after house keeping stuff such as updating, etc, so I use my account.

When I investigated further, this had happened some time ago (November 2015), but I just hadn't noticed.

When I next visited my father, I went through the Avast UI on his computer and noticed it wasnt signed-in so I tried to sign-in.

When I try to sign-in, after several seconds I get a message telling me something along the lines "media is unavailable, try again later".

Despite many attempts, on that visit and several otrhers, I keep getting the same result.

I have tried repairing Avast, and it is the latest version, but it still gives the same message.

My father's PC is running Vista, all updates applied.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Cant sign-in to Avast account form the Avast UI
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 02:18:04 PM »
The login through the UI is bugged for about a year.
For many it is not working.
There are already many posts about it on this webboard.
Seems that avast has this on the bottom of their to do list >:(

A repair of that installation is perhaps solving the problem about the reporting.
Make sure the latest version is installed.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Thanks Eddy,

The repair made no difference to the reporting, in fact it made no difference at all !

Now I know the UI is a known issue I wont worry too much about it.  I may try a re-install sometime.

Appologies for not finding the other posts - my search criteria must have been wrong.  If anybody can point me at them I would appreciate it as they may include actions I havent tried yet.

Thanks again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »
The search option in this webboard software isn't exactly great.
Personally I use Google to search here.
e.g: keyword1 keyword2 site:forum.avast.com

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Does he have a hosts file?  That was an issue a few months ago, as one of the entries blocked access to one of the urls that is checked for my.avast.com login thru the AvastUI.  Temporarily remove or rename hosts and attempt access again thru the AvastUI.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:37:32 PM »
I have nothing blocked in my host files (several systems) when it comes to avast and for over a year the problem exists on all systems.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 11:45:37 PM »
Hi Gopher John,

Thanks for taking the time to rely.

The honest answer is I dont know whether he has a hosts file or not.

Can you give me some idea how to check - his PC is running Vista, he uses Firefox browser.

Hello again Eddy,

Sounds like this isnt going to be the issue but if I know where to look it might be worth a try - I dont know what changed last November to start the problem in the first place, I have the same version of Avast running on two other XP PCs, one Win 7 laptop plus one Win 10 PC and they all work just fine ! ???

Thanks again.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 11:49:12 PM »
No problems connecting via the AvastUI.  The hosts file was what was causing my problems.  Temporarily renaming it so it wouldn't be used for lookup allowed login on my 3 Win 7 machines.  Once logged in, the hosts file was reinstated and I can still access it on all 3 machines.  Perhaps some 3rd party security program is causing problems for some people, or some configurations only.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 11:51:49 PM »
On WinXP and Win7, the path is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc .  On Vista, I'm not sure as I never had Vista.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

I will be visiting my father next week so will give this a try.

If that doesnt work, I'll wait for the buggy UI to be fixed but I wont hold my breath while I'm waiting  ;)

Cheers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 01:24:52 AM »
I generally don't have a problem connecting to the my.avast.com account from the UI (just tried it). Basically mine connects automatically, once I have connected to the my.avast.com site I leave it connected. I don't log out from it or the avast forums, so when I open the avastUI I see my User Name displayed in the top right corner.

Presumably your father doesn't see his user/screen/display name.

I also prefer logging in directly to the my.avast.com account from my browser (not the UI), I do this because the layout is better in the browser rather than the restricted size of the UI window.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 10:02:01 AM »
Hello DavidR and thanks for the reply.

I didnt explicitly say in my intial post but my father doesnt have his own account (and therefore his own user name/display name) I use my account on his PC to sign-in.

However, you have made me think about a possible solution.

I have never signed in to my account using a browser on his PC as I had never seen the need before - the only reason his machine is signed-in to my account is in order that I can use the Status functionality in the Avast UI to remotely keep an eye on his machine, so I have always signed-in to his PC using the UI.

So next time I visit him, I will sign-in to the Avast Account web page on his PC using the browser and then see if the Avast UI shows signed-in.

To be honest, I had read on other posts about peolpe not bothering with UI sign-in and just signing-in on the browser page but I hadnt understood how this worked.  Your reply gave me a lightbulb moment - thanks  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 02:24:17 AM »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 11:35:29 PM »
In case anybody stumbles on this topic while searching for the same problem:

In the end, I eventually managed to fix the issue by completely uninstall Avast and then re-installing it.

Using the updater made no difference - each time it updated, the non-functioning UI remained.