Author Topic: Stupid manual install behaviour  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Anacunga

Stupid manual install behaviour
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »
When having the settings to "ask when a download is available" a small popup-window is appearing; there you have to click "yep, do the update now!" and the update is starting to install.

Normal behaviour would be that the popup-window is disappearing as soon as the "yep, do the update now"-click is clicked. But since some weeks that's not the behaviour; but instead the window keeps being there so that you can cklick many times to start the update, but nothing happens ...

Please impementate the former behaviour that the popup disappears as soon als you have clicked on it; or at least the clickable button has to change to unclickabilitiy; thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Stupid manual install behaviour
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »
To start with you don't say which Update this is for, nor do you say which program version you have installed ?

Virus Definitions are set to Automatic by default.

Program updates on the latest version 2016.11.2.2262 are also set to Automatic.

So if you have the latest version of avast you have made some changes to the default settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »
If I don't say anything about version, it's latest version of program of free version and latest virus database. And it is not to assume that different versions (free/pro/etc.) behave differently in that detail.

Of course I changed settings to "ask as soon as an update is ready" as any kind of update at the wrong time can destroy big bunch of work (among them could be some TV recording (that does not allow getting cut as much resources as any kind of update consumes etc.). So be aware that "automatic update" is an absoulte NO-GO here.

And if you would have read and understood the problem, you would not complain about "but this is no default setting" ... of course it's not default setting, as default setting does not include manual updating. Btw. (and just that you don't shout again): the absolute normal case is to click on "yep, do that update just now (as soon as it appears)". An update is usually not deferred at all; but it can happen that it has to be deferred; and it's just a click to run the update. So where is your problem?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
With version he means not only if it is the free, pro or IS version but also the build number.
There can be a difference between them.

And yes, also needed to know what the update is/was for as a program update is different from a vps update.

DavidR is not complaining about anything.
He also never shouted.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:41:17 PM »
Just did again some seconds ago: avast reported virus database update, and within some seconds of appearing of the small window in the lower right corner I clicked on "do that update now!" ... in such a case a normal software would visibly "accept" the click by disappearing of the small window (as it was for a long time with avast). But since a certain time (don't ask men for how long that stupid state still lasts now), the window does not disappear, and you can click and click and click again on the "update now"-button; the button everytime gets slightly darker, but you don't see to happen anything else besides. After some seconds (and maybe 10 or 12 clicks onto that button, but it can also have been only one click) the "avast-app" window appears showing that the update is installing. But still cou can click again onto that button several times while update already startet. This behaviour (of not making to disappear the small window as soon as a click was done) ist nothing that stupid and does not make sense ... Btw: with older versions it was not yet so stupid!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:45:48 PM by Anacunga »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
@DavidR.,

I'm using the latest version of Avast and my program update isn't set to automatic update.  I didn't make any changes to the default settings.

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:27:46 PM by -midnight »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »
@DavidR.,

I'm using the latest version of Avast and my program update isn't set to automatic update.  I didn't make any changes to the default settings.

EDIT: typo

It rather depends on your version history and how you updated to 11.1.2262, if you previously had the Program Update set to Ask it should honour that. I have always set Program updates to Ask from time to time (recent program updates) it has been reset to Auto and I kept complaining about this action.  Some clean installs resulted in Program Updates being set to Auto.

Program Updates should recognise the fact that you changed the setting and leave it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline novakja

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
@Anacunga Hello, I believe what you are experiencing is a bug. The popup window offering update to newer version of antivirus should disappear after one click. I am trying to reproduce it, however, it would be very helpful if you could tell us:

1) which version have you been experiencing this behavior from?
2) I assume you do not have a clean installation of 11.1.2262, instead, you updated to it from a previous version, right? Could you possibly tell, which was the last version you installed via clean installation and which version did you update to 11.1.2262 from? (I am mainly interested in if it was the previous or a different one)
3) What version, edition and architecture of Windows are you running?

Very convenient way to give us more feedback would be to generate and send us a support package - here is how (you don't have to fill in any support ticket id, however, attach the File ID to your forum post so that we can find it).

Also, repairing your Avast installation might help - here is how.

Thank you for your feedback!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:15:04 PM by novakja »

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »
Yes, it's Version 11.2.2262 from 27.04.2016-12:22:11, and it was made as an update from previous versions. I don't remember the clean install version, but it was not so long ago (10 or 11, but not 9). Is there any kind of "install log" where I could find a date to find when that was? I always get the latest version for offline installation just before doing a clean install. So finding an unchanged install log would tell the daten, and then it was that version that was recent that day. I don't remember when that strange behaviour began, it's quite a while, but not more than several months. System is a Windows XP pro SP3 on a VAIO PCG-Z1 with 1.7GHz and 1GB of RAM. I keep that installation to have a test machine, but I'll install it on a different one from scratch (there is Avast 4.8 for the moment).

Offline novakja

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 02:32:50 PM »
Thank you for such a fast reply @Anacunga!

Yes, there is a Setup.log and an Update.log located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs\

Still, can I please ask you to generate and send us the support package?