Author Topic: Facebook Tracking  (Read 3288 times)

REDACTED

Facebook Tracking
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:00:32 AM »
From my understanding is that Facebook is rolling out a new policy to start in the next few days where they will work with other companies to track people who aren't even Facebook users. Granted I use Facebook but does Avast have any software to block their tracking? Or is there something else that is safe and will block them?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Facebook Tracking
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:27:53 AM »
Nothing new, they are doing that for years already.
Only way to block it is basically not using the internet at all.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:43:47 AM »
Ok move to a log cabin it is.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
There are plants that seem to be capable to communicate with each other, so be careful where you make the cabin ;D

A thing that most people don't know (or have forgotten) is that Alphabet (the company that owns Google and many others) was setup with just one goal.
Namely to collect as much data about everything to analyze it.
Google was only setup to generate income for this goal.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:40:56 AM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »
From my understanding is that Facebook is rolling out a new policy to start in the next few days where they will work with other companies to track people who aren't even Facebook users. Granted I use Facebook but does Avast have any software to block their tracking? Or is there something else that is safe and will block them?

To do that would require that said websites set a cookie for facebook or transmit (sell) what data they already collect to facebook and other companies.

1. Don't allow 3rd party cookies in your chosen browser.
2. Clear your browser history, cookies, etc. when you close your browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
Hi Ben156,

I understand your concern as we read this quote from adweek dot com:
Unless you log out of your Facebook account each time you’re done using it,
Facebook follows you to other sites after you’ve finished your Facebook business.
I took a look at the code used in all like buttons and I’ve found instances of
objects and variables named “CavalryLogger” and “dimension-tracking.”
 To me it would be Facebook’s version of installing Google analytics since
 they’re virtually identically installed and executed.

Facebook reps have claimed that unless the like button is actually clicked,
no information is gathered. And that these widgets aren’t meant for tracking.
But that’s actually a really powerful tracking tool if you think about it.

Facebook knows where you’ve been online.

With Privacy Badger extension you can set how Privacy Badger will handle tracking also on Facebook.
With Tracker SSL extension you can see what insecure tracking is going on.
100% of the trackers on this site are helping protect you from NSA snooping. Why not thank facebook.com for being secure?

Mind you that everything can come tracking you in your browser,  also bookmarklets, like for instance this one: https://shaaaaaaaaaaaaa.com/check/cluster015.ovh.net

One could do a good check producing a tracker tracker report to see what they sample on you and add to your profile.
I give you an example of what is going on there now attached.

Mind you that Google Adwords, facebook and econda tracking are all "foot in mouth" so to say.
You are the product and the blocking of that whenever possible  is up to you.
Then NoScript and uMatrix blocking is your best option.

polonus
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:00:48 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »
You have a choice:
1. don't use the internet.
2. install all sorts of blockers and totally make using the internet a royal pain.
3. resign yourself to the fact that there is no privacy on the internet.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:12:34 PM »
Well resign to the fact of total loss of privacy and total surveillance is the other side of the spectrum.
Then you have lost all.
The idea that the service has all rights and the end-user none, is a bit too far-fetched for me.

Because you are on their free service you should not loose all digital rights to the service,
your postings, your images, all is being copyrighted away as you signed in to their terms.

But it seems a lot of users have already come to live with these facts and accept as a natural thing.
Their freedom, their choice.

The transition from some form of  end-user protection to virtually none has been transformed gradually, silently and without any sort of opposition.

I'd like to be able to protect myself to a certain degree with free ad- and tracking-blocking against malicious ads, online fraud, etc. and I found that just av blocking is not enough to enable this. That those that want to prevent their mal-ad free privacy have to constantly fill out ridiculous captcha's to prove "they are a human beings", because some adtracker could not conveniently profile you, is a bit over-the-top i.m.o., slowly business nepotism came to rule globally nowadays. Using the Tap and Trust browser on android already helps. Hope not a lot will install it, else we loose it to the ad-launchers.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!