Author Topic: Avast mftutil Running for 6 Days!  (Read 1866 times)

REDACTED

Avast mftutil Running for 6 Days!
« on: June 05, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »
I just opened Process Hacker to check if anything was thrashing the CPU since it is above idle temps, even accounting for the weather, and am greeted by ~9% CPU utilization by mftutil.exe!

This process was supposed to be for an update over a year ago, so why is it running again? More importantly, why has it been running FOR SIX DAYS! "Started: 6 days ago (15:34:02 30/05/2016)"

I have not modified or repaired my Avast installation to prompt this. It is the genuine Avast process. "AVAST Software s.r.o." signed. A child of ngtool.exe, it'self a child of AvastSvc.exe.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast mftutil Running for 6 Days!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »
It can only be running for 6 days if your system is also running for 6 days (or longer).
Is there any real need to keep a system up and running for that long ?

As it is part of the NG, you can disable that if you don't want it/use it.
NG is b.t.w. already removed in the 2016.12.1.2263 beta.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Sorry, I keep forgetting that uptime is a bad thing in Windows.

It has not survived a reboot, but since it is gone in the latest beta, I will remove it if it decides to return.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:58:15 PM »
I'm talking about consumer/home systems.
Uptime doesn't have to be a bad thing on any OS.
The question is if there is a need to keep a system up and running for multiple days.
In the "old days" there sometimes was, if you where downloading something for example.
Even a small picture took quit some time on 1200 baud ;D

It was not removed in the latest beta, but in the first beta after the 2016.12.1.2262 release.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=186192.0

To say it simple, NG runs every application in its own virtual environment.
That is if the hardware supports it and it is enabled in the bios.
Depending on the (amount of) applications you are running, 9% isn't really that bad at all as you could say.

And as I said...
If you don't want to use it you can disable it in the avast settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 07:09:56 PM »
Sorry if I am a bit snappy about uptime. My system *can* run without issue for over a month, and I often run VMs that host long running processes or am rendering video(slow) or 3D(miserably slow). These things end up overlapping and keep it up for days. A reboot is annoyingly slow, and since all the people who calim SSDs are cheap never respond after I post my PayPal link for them tor prove it, I am at the mercy of a HDD reboot speed.

Also, with some of the terrible ISPs out there, I would not consider the download issue such a thing of the past. I just recently escaped this country's worst provider.

It has returned after a reboot and was not listed under components to en/disable. So am clean installing Avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
It has returned after a reboot and was not listed under components to en/disable.
It is not a component, but a setting as I said.
Also, with some of the terrible ISPs out there, I would not consider the download issue such a thing of the past.
It is. I take it that you never had a baud modem. ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
Odd. I could not find any setting for it. Reinstalling did have the component(Secure Virtual Machines) unchecked by default though.

I have not. But I have been with BT. Have you never had the misfortune to be with an ISP doing their best to replicate dial-up speeds on *DSL, cable or even FTTC!?