Author Topic: Avast! halts on virus detection  (Read 2943 times)

WNelsonW

Avast! halts on virus detection
« on: January 17, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »
Hi there.  How do I make the program automatically move the detected virus into the chest and continue the scan?   The scan normally takes about 5 hours to complete and when it stops for a virus detection, the time adds up!
Thank-you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! halts on virus detection
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 05:10:36 PM »
Click on Standard Shield and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No.

I would be more concerned as to why I'm getting regular infections to be considered a time inconvenience.

Personally I don't use silent mode, because I want to know what is going on with my system. If someone is getting so many warnings of virus infection, infected emails, etc. that they become intrusive, then it is time to review their security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, sites they visit, etc.
Leave the file in the chest for a week or two (it can do no harm from there) to ensure no adverse effect from being moved to the chest. Then scan the file again in the chest to ensure it is still detected as infected and if so delete it from the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WNelsonW

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »
Thank-you very much for your help.  I definitely want to know what is going on, but I cannot stay at the machine for the full 5+ hours of the scan to tell it what to do each time it finds something.  I normally run it at night and prefer to check the results in the morning.   Now (thanks to you) I should be able to do that, yes?  Thanks again.
Peace...
N.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »
Well I suspect that you are doing a through scan with archives included.

When I first got avast I ran a through scan with archives to confirm my system was clean, after that I do a standard scan without archives on a weekly basis. I would only do a through scan with archives if I suspected something. Archives are by their nature inert until unzipped and the contents run/executed, before this happens avast's standard shield should have scanned the file before being opened/run.

If you can give some examples of the infections found, perhaps we can guess why/how they got on your system. This is one of the reasons I like to know what is happening rather than automatically send to the chest.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WNelsonW

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 12:24:09 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.  SO far I've got some Trojans: Win32:Trojans-Gen (assume means GENERAL?)  One of which appears to be a system restore point.  Two which are part of a .exe called ROCKXP.exe.  Any ideas?
Nelson

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 12:38:34 AM »
Any that are in restore points can only be dealt with by disabling system restore and rebooting. That will clear all restore points, so that in the future if you do a system restore you won't get reinfected.

Without original file locations it is hard to state exactly, I usually google the infected file name and see what comes up. I also get a second opinion using a multi engine scanner, however you will need to move the file out of the chest (use a temp folder) to be able to do this.
Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner www.virusscan.jotti.org if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive.

WNelsonW

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 02:46:44 AM »
Thanks again, good Sir!