Author Topic: Avast with AntiVir  (Read 8486 times)

wolverine281

Avast with AntiVir
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:24:27 PM »
Hi All :)
I was wondering if Avast(resident) will work with AntiVir(resident protection turned off)?

I originally had NAV but I got rid of it using SymNRT.  I then got Avast and AVG with AVG resident protection turned off.  I got rid of AVG in favor of AntiVir's higher detection rate of trojans.  I really like Avast's resident protection but I also like Antivir's high detection rate.  With Antivir when I installed I didn't let it install it's guard(resident protection).  I also went to msconfig and services and got rid of "AntiVir Service" and "AntiVir Update."

do you think that, like this, these to programs can peacefully cohabitate? ???

thanks guys :)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Avast with AntiVir
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:58:03 PM »
I've had avast! and AntiVir working together with no problem. (Antivir on-access scanning turned off, like you say.) Haven't tried the new beta 7 version with avast!, though.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:47:15 AM »
I was wondering if Avast(resident) will work with AntiVir(resident protection turned off)?
Until version 6 yes. New version 7 (still in beta phase) is incompatible with Standard Shield, IM and P2P providers.

Well, I did not make further test with Antivir 7 beta... maybe when I come back from vacations  ;D
The best things in life are free.

wolverine281

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 06:42:03 PM »
what if I turned off Avast's memory resident protection while scanning with AntiVir 7?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:37:07 PM »
It isn't just a case of disabling avasts resident scanner, both programs create registry keys which may conflict, disabling the resident protection won't unload services that are running. You have to cripple avast to turn it into an on-demand scanner, this wasn't how it was designed to give you protection in depth.

There are other on-demand scanners that you can use to back-up avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:50:54 AM »
what if I turned off Avast's memory resident protection while scanning with AntiVir 7?
Wolverine, avast does not work well as a backup (second, non-resident) scanner... too much trouble and incompatibility.
I give up on AntiVir testing. Even disabling all services, nothing automatically running at startup...
A conflict will be with it (version 7 Beta) and avast. So, bye bye AntiVir  :P

wolverine281

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 03:24:50 PM »
Ok then, I got rid of AntiVir :-[ and got Ewido Anti-Malware and was wondering if that was good at Trojan Horse detections because although Avast is good at virus detection (like 93%) it seriously lacks in trojan detections (like 70-73%).  Thanks guys you have all responded very quickly and helpfully. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
That is what Ewido's specialty was/is Trojan detection/removal it has only recently changed the name to ewido anti-malware, perhaps to take it out of what was assumed a niche market.

There are many forum members using ewido in conjunction with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wolverine281

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 05:02:46 PM »
That is what Ewido's specialty was/is Trojan detection/removal it has only recently changed the name to ewido anti-malware, perhaps to take it out of what was assumed a niche market.

There are many forum members using ewido in conjunction with avast.
good news that.  Although, when I installed it though I installed without the resident guard should I reinstall with the guard.

thanks for the help

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »
a-Squared is worth a look too: the way they've been adding definitions recently, they must be working on cocaine!  :o
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 05:44:54 PM »
Unless you intend to purchase it then the guard function would be disabled anyway at the end of the trial period, so not much point otherwise.

When you install the trial version you get full unrestricted trial use, which usually includes the resident guard (unless you have done a custom install). After the 14 day trial this is disabled, so no real problem.

wolverine281

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 07:51:18 PM »
Ok then I won't reinstall but when I first installed it I went into msconfig and in systems shutdown Ewido Security Suite Control, should I reactivate that, I'd rather not have it in memory if I don't have too. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »
I assume you mean Services in msconfig not system?

There are two elements to the Security Suite, one the ewido program GUI for on-demand use. The other is the Ewido Security Suite Control - Service, I assume this is what you disabled in msconfig, services.

I to have disabled this in Administrator Services, Services (set to manual start) and I use a shortcut to a batch file to start the security suite service (and the program interface) this when it is needed.

The service as far as I can tell is only required when you do the signature updates, other wise it's not required for an on-demand scan though I'm not sure but I guess it doesn't hurt to start the service, update signatures followed by a scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 01:29:11 AM »
I to have disabled this in Administrator Services, Services (set to manual start) and I use a shortcut to a batch file to start the security suite service (and the program interface) this when it is needed.
David, when are the services needed?
I mean, I set the Services to manual and when I start the program it starts the services (apparently)... I do not have to make 'extras' shortcuts...  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 03:40:46 PM »
The program starts fine without the service running and starting the program doesn't start the service.

Try doing an update when the service isn't running, I get error updating if the services isn't running prior to doing an update.

Edit:
Tested again tried update without service running, update appears to complete but the status bar information reports the ewidoctrl.exe is needed.

However, it would appear that the update download did complete with success as the status show the last updated as today. So it may well just be a throw back to the service being required in the trial for the resident guard function, which isn't present in the free version.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 03:53:51 PM by DavidR »