Author Topic: aswsnx.sys causes BSODs - computer crashes  (Read 7663 times)

Offline glnz

aswsnx.sys causes BSODs - computer crashes
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
Starting yesterday, a day or so after an Avast program update, when I try to start my old Acrobat.exe or PhotoShop.exe, my computer crashes, and I get a blue screen of death (BSOD).  This continues to happen despite reboots, and also after a "Repair" of Avast in Add/Remove Programs, and then a "Modification" of Avast to turn off a lot of its unneeded features.

The screen message in each BSOD is that the cause is aswsnx.sys, an Avast file.  I also saw a special reference to that file in my mini-dumps (which are otherwise incomprehensible).

Acrobat and Photoshop open just fine (a) in Safe Mode and (b) in Normal Mode if I first Disable Avast for 10 minutes.

My PC is a good-condition Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop with Win XP SP3 32-bit, which I keep updated using the POS hack, and 4GB RAM.  (Using it now.)  My Acrobat and Photoshop Elements are from approx. 2001 - old but good programs that have been very useful for a very long time, including with my HP 8500 printer-scanner which is only a few years old.  My Acrobat and Photoshop Elements have been running without problems for years with Avast.  Yes, this model Optiplex and CPU have hardware virtualization, and Avast has been running with its own hardware virtualization on for a long time now.

The new Avast aswsnx.sys file is version 11.2.2738.0, last modified May 01, 2016, with a digital signature date of April 25, 2016.  So it's quite a new version of that file.

Avast - please fix this bad new aswsnx.sys, and let me know how to get a better version of aswsnx.sys.  Thanks.

PS - I am now attaching a photo of the BSOD screen - see attached jpg.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:06:32 PM by glnz »
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: aswsnx.sys causes BSODs - computer crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:48:08 PM »
- Which version..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
Support: Troubleshooting a computer crash or blue screen error (BSOD)

https://www.avast.com/en-ae/faq.php?article=AVKB129
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:54:07 PM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline glnz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:55:58 PM »
Be Secure (and other readers) - Your first two questions are answered in my first post.  Please re-read.

I don't have any other active protection running except "Malwarebyte Anti-Exploit Free", which only activates when a browser starts and has never been a problem.  On the passive side, I occasionally run a MalwareBytes Free scan, and I use SpywareBlaster Free and Spyware S&D, both with manual updates only.

The point is that I've had no problem with my setup (including Avast) for a very long time.  It's only the new version of aswsnx.sys that causes BSODs with certain programs.
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
No, the first question isn't answered.
He means what exact avast version.

Offline glnz

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

Avast 11.2.2262

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 04:31:26 PM »
That is what i talking about after seeing this pic
Support: Troubleshooting a computer crash or blue screen error (BSOD)

https://www.avast.com/en-ae/faq.php?article=AVKB129
One thing is has to change is  Spyware S&D.It can create lot of problems. :)
Or create dump file of the file and send it to avast! via avast! support and post ID number of that file so that avast! dev can find it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:36:25 PM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline =Snake=

• Still using Avast Free!
  • Maybe Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »

Spyware S&D.It can create lot of problems. :)
Confirm this.

=Snake=
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Offline glnz

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:09:43 PM »
I've already confirmed that the trouble is caused by Avast.  As I wrote at the start, "Acrobat and Photoshop open just fine (a) in Safe Mode and (b) in Normal Mode if I first Disable Avast for 10 minutes."  This is the same as going through contortions with msconfig.  Also, the BSOD itself blames aswsnx.sys.  And, as I wrote, this is a new version of aswsnx.sys, so the source is obvious.

Spybot S&D has nothing to do with it.  I haven't actually run a Spybot scan in ages - I use only its Immunize function to add bad web sites to the Hosts list - same thing as SpywareBlaster.  Been doing this since 2004 with no problem from Avast until yesterday.

Will anyone here reach out to the Avast engineers and have them provide an alternate version of aswsnx.sys that doesn't crash my PC?

Don't need evangelists - need a working aswsnx.sys.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:38:09 PM »
There has just been a new program update release, 12.1.2272 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=187663.0. It would be worthwhile updating to see if it has been resolved in this build.
Modify message
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline glnz

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 06:27:15 PM »
David R - New version seems to permit my two Adobe programs, although the initial opening of each was a bit bumpy.

However, new version of Avast has now eliminated Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization, so Avast has now removed some of its safety features.

Way to go, Avast!  Keep up the good focus on pop-up ads!