Author Topic: Avast Reputation services setting could cause slow opening file  (Read 4331 times)

Offline sidball

I'm using the latest version of avast at current time of writing on windows 7 OS. I found out when my internet connection has problem (usually hinted by exclamation icon on the wifi icon), opening image files like jpg file with image viewer application is very slow (could take around 13 seconds for 165 kb jpg file). I thought the image viewer app was trying to connect to internet everytime it runs, but I can't found settings related to it, and it doesn't make sense too for the app to connect to internet for every load, otherwise it's terrible app.

So then I thought could it be avast ? Then I played with some avast settings and found out the culprit, when I unchecked the "Enable reputation services", the problem disappeared. I guess by enabling the reputation services, avast will try to connect to internet when scanning the opened file/app. I would like to suggest to improve the reputation services feature on bad connection situation, maybe if avast detect connection issue, it should disable the online database querying when scanning.

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Reputation services setting could cause slow opening file
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »
Avast Reputation services is not the real culprit.

- Which version..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline sidball

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »
It's certainly related with avast. Before I disabled the reputation service, I also tried disabling the avast file shield and the problem gone too, but of course that's not a best solution.

-The latest version as now
-Win7 SP1 64 bit
-none
-none

I also found someone posted same issue on old thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=170732.0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:16:52 AM by sidball »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:30:36 AM »
People often say "I have the latest version" and when we check it turns out that they don't.
I'm not saying you don't have it, but please mention the exact avast version that you have.

Offline sidball

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:42:07 AM »
I had run the program update today, it's 12.1.2272.

Btw could you make the text in "About Avast" dialog copyable ? I hate to type it manually.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »
Hi, i got the exact same problem. Avast reputation service cause opening program very slow when internet connection has problem. I'm using wireless connection, so it's not stable. When the connection RTO, opening a small program like akelpad takes more than 15 seconds. First, i thought Cyber Capture cause this, but it still has problem when disabled. Then i tried disable reputation service and it work like a charm.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »
Well the problem is very clear the connection, not avast.
Fix the connection.
Use a wired or...
- place the router in another spot
- use a signal enhancer
- use a range extender

Checking the connection is not a task for avast.
Besides that, it would no be of much (if any) use.
avast checks and the connection is good.
You open the file and the connection has a problem.
Opening will still be slow than.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:19:08 AM by Eddy »

Offline jursa

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
I'm using the latest version of avast at current time of writing on windows 7 OS. I found out when my internet connection has problem (usually hinted by exclamation icon on the wifi icon), opening image files like jpg file with image viewer application is very slow (could take around 13 seconds for 165 kb jpg file). I thought the image viewer app was trying to connect to internet everytime it runs, but I can't found settings related to it, and it doesn't make sense too for the app to connect to internet for every load, otherwise it's terrible app.

So then I thought could it be avast ? Then I played with some avast settings and found out the culprit, when I unchecked the "Enable reputation services", the problem disappeared. I guess by enabling the reputation services, avast will try to connect to internet when scanning the opened file/app. I would like to suggest to improve the reputation services feature on bad connection situation, maybe if avast detect connection issue, it should disable the online database querying when scanning.

Hi Sidball,

opening image files are not affected by the cloud scanning, this is probably some bug on client side.
Can you please send me (jursa@avast.com) your FileInfo2.db file located in "c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast" folder ?

Thanks for reporting,
David