Author Topic: Avast still spying on us :-D  (Read 6296 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast still spying on us :-D
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »
Sorry, but these claims are nonsense. avast! NEVER re-enables those settings by itself. I have data sharing disabled on all systems and they have been like that for several updates.

Settings are always respected unless there is some misconfiguration due to update. Which to this date never happened for data sharing settings.

There is also EULA which describes data collection and you can look for explanation from Vlk somewhere on this forum about data collection. or was it on Wilder, I don't know exactly. Look it up.

Bottom line, in current time of heavy cloud integrated protection systems, all antiviruses gather data one way or another. Btw, have you used Google today? Yeah, that...

I'll just quote myself. If it's a bug, that's not intentional behavior and you can't blame it on them like they are doing it intentionally. The bug which resets ALL settings to default doesn't reset data sharing specifically. Blaming it as intentional would be just stupid thing to do.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 03:12:18 AM »
I only recently installed avast and hadn't even realized that it updated because it does this automatically. I just checked my privacy settings and they were changed, and I know for a fact that they were disabled when I installed Avast. It's annoying and a little disappointing, but whatever. Just wanted to post here to state that this isn't an isolated incident. Avast does apparently change Privacy settings, and it has happened with the most recent update regardless of what that changelog claims.

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 03:40:51 AM »
Sorry, but these claims are nonsense. avast! NEVER re-enables those settings by itself. I have data sharing disabled on all systems and they have been like that for several updates.

Settings are always respected unless there is some misconfiguration due to update. Which to this date never happened for data sharing settings.

There is also EULA which describes data collection and you can look for explanation from Vlk somewhere on this forum about data collection. or was it on Wilder, I don't know exactly. Look it up.

Bottom line, in current time of heavy cloud integrated protection systems, all antiviruses gather data one way or another. Btw, have you used Google today? Yeah, that...

I'll just quote myself. If it's a bug, that's not intentional behavior and you can't blame it on them like they are doing it intentionally. The bug which resets ALL settings to default doesn't reset data sharing specifically. Blaming it as intentional would be just stupid thing to do.
I am not blaming them at all,just point it out. :)
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 03:44:34 AM »
I only recently installed avast and hadn't even realized that it updated because it does this automatically. I just checked my privacy settings and they were changed, and I know for a fact that they were disabled when I installed Avast. It's annoying and a little disappointing, but whatever. Just wanted to post here to state that this isn't an isolated incident. Avast does apparently change Privacy settings, and it has happened with the most recent update regardless of what that changelog claims.
No.It is enabled by default you have to manually disable it. :)
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline zenzor

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »

Some of my my settings (like "Enable Avast email signature" and "Antispam") which I've turned off are also always turned on again when AIS updates.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »

Some of my my settings (like "Enable Avast email signature" and "Antispam") which I've turned off are also always turned on again when AIS updates.
That was a bug some version back. It's not supposed to be happening in the current version. (12.1.2272)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet