Author Topic: all new  (Read 3742 times)

BDP

all new
« on: January 21, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
allright here we go, very computer illiterate here. I have a fresh windows 98se format & install. I have downloaded, installed, registered and inserted the activation key. Now what do I do? Is Avast working by default? Do I need to make any settings? I noticed when looking around the automatic updates selection is checked. I don't leave my machine on all the time. When does it look for the auto updates?

I basically just need to know how to use Avast! LOL!!

Thanx in advance for any and all responses

CharleyO

Re: all new
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:23:44 PM »

Welcome to the forums, BDP!    :)

As long as automatic updates is checked, the Avast! program will check for updates to the program and virus data base (VBD) definitions shortly after you connect your computer to the internet. It will then check for updates again every four hours if you are connected for that long.

You should get an update of the VDB at least once a week. If, by chance that does not happen, please come back and make a new post so that someone can help you.

And welcome to Avast ... be sure to come back often, learn more, and maybe help others!    :)

BDP

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 06:15:40 PM »
1. So do I need to turn anything on or change any settings?
2. Does it work all the time by itself or do I need to run scans?
3. When I do run a scan do I need to scan the whole c drive or just certain folders?
4. How do I know if it updated?

sorry about all the questions I'm just trying to make sure I'm protected.

Thanx again

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »
Hi

1.  It should be on set and forget. Hover over the Avast Icon and it will tell you how many providers are running, or left click and the providers will show.

2.  As long as the icon is in the right hand tray it is working.

3. Personal preference I do a full scan once a month, with ashquick.exe loaded into my download manager to scan downloads.

4. When Avast updates you will know as you will hear it tell you. 

All in all if the icon is in the tray and it spins you are protected..

BDP

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »
Excellent!!! Thanks a lot!!! You guys are Great!!

One more question. Should the icon spin all the time? 

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 08:06:22 PM »

No, the icon should not spin all the time. If it is, please post again as that is an indication that some file(s) are being accessed continually which is not normal.

timcan

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 08:21:01 PM »
BDP,there is lots of helpful info in the program help file. ;) welcome to the forum.

BDP

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 10:02:07 PM »
Thanx folks I think I'm going strong now. After I asked the question I noticed the icon spinning each time I went to a new web page then I realized the answer. LOL!!!

I really appreciate all the help y'all have provided. y'all are really fast too!!!!

Thanx again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 11:35:51 PM »
Welcome to the forums and to the avast family.

Spend a little time browsing the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums lists, there is some very useful information to help you get the best out of avast. As is the avast help file, which has been mentioned previously.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security