Author Topic: Can't stop alert  (Read 3439 times)

adkrev

Can't stop alert
« on: January 22, 2006, 04:09:14 AM »
I keep getting an alert that this is malware.  It looks related to a system restore point.  I have tried to get Avast to ignore it, but the last number before the .dll keeps going up by one.  How can I get Avast to ignore this type of file?  Thanks.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B9823275-D858-498B-A4DC-C4EEDA322F67}\RP105\A0029773.dll

mauserme

Re: Can't stop alert
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 02:51:27 PM »
Hi adkrev,

If I understand correctly, avast is warning you that there is an infection in your system restore.  As I see it the problem is the possible infection, not the warning.  Setting avast! to ignore the file would be like closing your eyes to the real problem.

If you suspect this is a false positive then download a nonresident scanner like Bitdefender (free edition) or ClamWin and use that for a second opinion.  Or, do an on line scan like TrendMicro Housecall.

If you think this is true infection, then turn off system restore.  This will delete your restore points and viruses hiding in them.  Reboot, and run another scan.  If your are receiving no alerts at this point turn system on again.

adkrev

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »
Thanks.  That is an interesting take on the problem... that it might be telling me there is a virus or problem in the system restore.  I will give your suggestions a try.

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »
no problem.

Post again with your results.

adkrev

Progress
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:21:27 AM »
I ran Bitdefender and nothing was picked up.  Then turned off system restore, destroying all restore points.  Rebooted and ran a scan with TrendMirco.  Dumped some malware from that scan, but no viruses.  Will now reboot and activate Avast again and System Restore.  I'll post if the issue continues or not.  Thanks.

adkrev

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 01:57:12 PM »
Two days without that alert.  I think that your suggestion did the trick.  Thanks.

mauserme

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 04:11:04 PM »
No problem.

Glad it worked out.