Author Topic: Future of Avast Basic and Windows Server  (Read 12571 times)

REDACTED

Future of Avast Basic and Windows Server
« on: July 31, 2016, 02:39:38 PM »
I started this thread because I asked in thread https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=189085.0 but felt it deserved separate discussion.  It says:

Free Antivirus tier does not allow to control and manage antivirus instaled on a server. (Ability to control Antivirus on server is only allowed for paid tiers).

Since the day Avast for Business Cloud was introduced, support for Windows Server was included for free, but seems this has now become deprecated in the Basic subscription model with the change appearing to be unannounced.

Whilst its a shame it's no longer free, it bothers me this kind of unannounced change to remove functionality can make my life as an Admin more difficult to plan for.  If this was going to happen, a little warning would have been nice.

So my new concern now becomes how long before the existing installs stop working or updating? 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Future of Avast Basic and Windows Server
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »
If this was going to happen, a little warning would have been nice.
+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Martin Svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
Hi, this change affects ONLY those existing customers who have 0 protected servers within their AfB account. Those customers who have at least one server protected will be able to install AV even on additional servers.

For all newly registered customers, Free version offers AV protection only for workstations.
Product manager | Avast Business | 🗺 Roadmap

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

I still cautiously wait for a day in the future Avast say "You're on Basic, your servers will no longer be protected, starting tomorrow"  :P

Currently if I go to Add Devices to get the latest download, the Windows options are "Windows .EXE (For workstations only)" and "Windows .MSI" which is disabled.

Are you saying that the .EXE actually will still work if you have an existing server device?

What happens if I currently only have 1 server device and uninstall it, leaving 0 devices.  Can I then still install other (or the same) Server devices like you suggest, or does my registration revert to workstation-only since I then have 0 protected servers?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
Are you saying that the .EXE actually will still work if you have an existing server device?
Yes, at least that's how I understand it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Manley

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »
Yes, I am unhappy with this change too. I love Avast and love the free product. Why are you continuing to take away features with every update and going paid route when you said from the very beginning that it will always stay free?

Offline Martin Svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:37:33 PM »
Sorry for the confusion, that is actually the bug - because if you have any server already protected then the restriction "Windows .EXE (For workstations only)" is not applicable to you. You will be able to download an installer and activate even new server within the console. This will be fixed with a new release. Thanks for that and once again sorry for the confusion.

Regarding future of AfB, we have a plan for  features that you guys are requesting like reporting, more information about the threats/scans, a better way how to acknowledge offline devices without confirming each notification and without changed risk check, firewall management etc.

While providing the free solution we also have to think how to balance everything, therefore, we will focus not on removing more and more things from the Basic offer but adding more and more things that will provide adequate value for the Basic offer and also reason to upgrade.

I'm more than open to having even the personal conversation with everyone who will be interested and has some feedback. Just drop me a line to svobodam@avast.com

Thank you
Product manager | Avast Business | 🗺 Roadmap

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:37:55 PM »
Sorry for the confusion, that is actually the bug - because if you have any server already protected then the restriction "Windows .EXE (For workstations only)" is not applicable to you. You will be able to download an installer and activate even new server within the console. This will be fixed with a new release. Thanks for that and once again sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for clarifying this.  I'm still not clear on one thing; as an existing Basic user with a Server device, if I now uninstall all Server devices do I still keep the ability to install new Servers under Basic, even though I no longer have any Servers protected?  Or must I always keep at least 1 Server protected as a minimum? 

While providing the free solution we also have to think how to balance everything, therefore, we will focus not on removing more and more things from the Basic offer but adding more and more things that will provide adequate value for the Basic offer and also reason to upgrade.

Very glad to hear this, and it's the way ANY company doing subscriptions should behave, otherwise they risk alienating customers, and keeping loyalty is key to encouraging paid versions.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
It seems Avast decided without warning to uninstall Avast for Business on all my servers automatically and remove them from my account without a warning or my consent.

I understand it's a free product but to do it this way is rather frustrating.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
Hi, this change affects ONLY those existing customers who have 0 protected servers within their AfB account. Those customers who have at least one server protected will be able to install AV even on additional servers.

For all newly registered customers, Free version offers AV protection only for workstations.
I don't believe this statement is accurate as my servers all mysteriously "disappeared" from my account.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
My server is still there.  Maybe you experienced some sort of config issue.  Would be worth contacting tech support to ask what happened and to verify you still have install ability.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
I saw the same problem as A321 after this came out. Servers just up and went unlicensed despite them being on the account previously.
The statement that accounts with existing servers on them being immune to this change isn't truthful in the slightest.
It feels like Avast made a great big bait and switch here. "Hey, free antivirus for servers, over here! Gotcha!".
They went from free for servers that didn't need premium management, to $6/month/device (a 3x increase from before)!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:38:41 PM by Zephiris »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 10:34:11 PM »
I saw the same problem as A321 after this came out. Servers just up and went unlicensed despite them being on the account previously.
The statement that accounts with existing servers on them being immune to this change isn't truthful in the slightest.
It feels like Avast made a great big bait and switch here. "Hey, free antivirus for servers, over here! Gotcha!".
They went from free for servers that didn't need premium management, to $6/month/device (a 3x increase from before)!
Based on the lack of feedback and responses this seems to be the case which is unfortunate, I had a good run with Avast for Business but will be going in another direction.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 10:53:09 PM »
A321, did you contacted avast after the software was removed and the servers where removed from your account ?
If so, what was/is the outcome of it ?

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 04:42:26 PM »
Just submitted a ticket we shall see what they say...