Author Topic: Microsoft's OneCare firewall draws fire....  (Read 5831 times)

..::ReVaN::..

Microsoft's OneCare firewall draws fire....
« on: February 01, 2006, 04:14:18 AM »
ARTICLE HERE

From the news.com(cnet) article: The firewall component in Microsoft's Windows OneCare security bundle has holes, experts have warned.

Comments?

CharleyO

Re: Microsoft's OneCare firewall draws fire....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:40:41 AM »

Well, I guess that should have been expected since most of us know how the Windows firewall works.    :(

Staind

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 06:02:08 AM »
Not a big deal, Microsoft defends it pretty well I thought.  The argument was put out by McAfee which is going to be bias, and simply deny a lot of Microsoft's claims.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 01:19:56 PM »
Not a big deal, Microsoft defends it pretty well I thought.  The argument was put out by McAfee which is going to be bias, and simply deny a lot of Microsoft's claims.

Exactly... and I am 110% sure we will see those claims even more often in the future... As long as Microsoft lives, there will be someone to attack it no matter what. Worst of all, they will keep attacking them even sometimes when they have no reason at all. I am happy with my configuration, and everybody else is free to use what they want... yet, it never ever crossed my mind to attack some opponent software house, OS or something third. Freedom of choice, as well as variety of choices...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 09:38:29 AM »
Hi malware fighters,

Here you can read the One Care Fw is also  failure for the home user: http://www.agnitum.com/news/securityinsight/issues/june2006

The OneCare Fw failed all "leak tests"but the simplest, and offers no standard intrusion detection prevention;
The OneCare Fw database of approved applications is so small, so the user is urged to change the pre-defined settings over and over, and reboot the system.
The OneCare FW's rulebase are limited to two rules "approved" and "not approved", other rule settings are not possible. Same for remote desktop operation, and network settings.
The Anti-Spyware component makes start up of the FW slow, and has another update scheme than other One Care components.

This is not attacking a fw solution because of bias. It is just a lousy FW.

polonus
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:41:15 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!