Author Topic: How to turn off Avast firewall AND start the Windows 10 firewall again?  (Read 9275 times)

Offline nverwer

A few days ago, I renewed my Avast Internet Security license for two years. Today, I remembered why I had told myself to not do that again, but unfortunately Avast has already done its damage. I just want antivirus (and am happy to pay for it) but Avast insists on turning on its other "features" after renewing my license.
My main problem is with the Avast firewall. It messes up my home network, and breaks Synergy (a screen  / keyboard / mouse sharing program).
I tried to uninstall the Avast firewall component, but after doing that there is no way to turn on the Windows (10) firewall. I cannot even start the Windows firewall service manually. It seems that Avast has broken it.

My question is: How do I turn off the Avast firewall so that I can turn on the Windows (10) firewall?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:09:05 AM by nverwer »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to turn off Avast firewall?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »
As you have removed the firewall component, there is nothing to turn off.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:34:13 PM »
I tried to uninstall the Avast firewall component, but after doing that there is no way to turn on the Windows (10) firewall.
Did you reboot?

Avast Antivirus: Removing or Adding components > https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle

Offline nverwer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
I tried to uninstall the Avast firewall component, but after doing that there is no way to turn on the Windows (10) firewall.
Did you reboot?

Oh  yeah, I rebooted lots of times. The Avast firewall is then removed, but the problem is that I can no longer start the Windows firewall service. Even when I try to start it manually (as administrator from the services control panel) it just gives an error. It seems that Avast has effectively disabled the Windows firewall forever (or until I reinstall Windows 10).

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »
Did you reboot?

Oh  yeah, I rebooted lots of times. The Avast firewall is then removed, but the problem is that I can no longer start the Windows firewall service. Even when I try to start it manually (as administrator from the services control panel) it just gives an error. It seems that Avast has effectively disabled the Windows firewall forever (or until I reinstall Windows 10).

Another tool you will find useful in this (and other) situation(s) is Tweaking.com's Windows Repair All In One (main website for Tweraking.com is here).  Profiles, permissions and registry settings / values can all be set back to default, working condition by using this tool.  Please read the notes and help files before fully using the tool to get the best results (even though the author has taken great pains to make the tool as safe as possible).
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

Offline nverwer

Re: How to turn off Avast firewall AND start the Windows 10 firewall again?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Try this > http://www.technlg.net/windows/disable-enable-firewall-registry-key/

Thank you, Eddy. I did  this and Synergy still does not accept connections. So maybe the problem isn't Avast. I'll look further into what causes the problem.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:26:44 PM by nverwer »

Offline nverwer

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »
... Tweaking.com's Windows Repair All In One
Thank you, dbrisendine.

Windows Repair All In One did not find any problems. I am now suspecting that the problem is not in Avast. It may have been caused by a failed itunes installation, which happened around the same time when I renewed my Avast subscription.
Still, I think that Avast should not have turned on its firewall after I renewed my subscription.