Author Topic: Large log.txt file in Spamconf folder  (Read 7888 times)

Offline Patrick99

• RTI
Large log.txt file in Spamconf folder
« on: September 13, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »
In the Programs Data Windows folder for Avast 12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.6) there is a log.txt file located in a folder named Spamconf that has grown to over 3GB in size.

I restarted in safe mode and deleted the file, replacing it with an empty file of the same name.

What settings do I need to adjust to overrite the log's contents to prevent it from growing to such an enormous size? Is there a global option to delete older log entries?

After deleting the file this morning it is now growing past 50Mb. How can I manage this file's evergrowing size?
Patrick
Win 10 64 bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.345)

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Massive Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
Re: Large log.txt file in Spamconf folder
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
I want to know it too.

Offline petr_matrix

• Avast team
  • avast! programmer
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 11:17:11 AM »
Try to delete spamcatcher.conf in "c:\programdata\avast software\avast\spamconf folder".

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Massive Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »
Fixed!

Thanks  a lot.

Offline Patrick99

• RTI
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
Try to delete spamcatcher.conf in "c:\programdata\avast software\avast\spamconf folder".

What about the hundreds of temp files and compressed error archives in the spamconf folder?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:45:22 PM by Patrick99 »
Patrick

Offline Patrick99

• RTI
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
The spamconf folder accumulates a large amount of files named sc18.bin.incr.2016.08.25.xxxx.

How do I manage these accumulations to control the size of the file? Is there a setting to clear these files?
Patrick

Offline Amarand Agasi

• I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Computers/photography/psychology/writing/haiku!
    • Flickr Site
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
The spamconf folder accumulates a large amount of files named sc18.bin.incr.2016.08.25.xxxx.

How do I manage these accumulations to control the size of the file? Is there a setting to clear these files?

I, too, am interested in clearing out all of these files. I'm going to try deleting the log, at least.

It would be nice to know what this application is (spamconf?), and the proper way to deal with these files.  Starting up in "Safe Mode" is certainly not a normal-user thing.  Are we experiencing a bug?

Offline Amarand Agasi

• Flickr Site
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
I noticed in my spamcatcher.conf file, I show this:

dbg_verbose_level=8
dbg_logfile=log.txt
verbose=yes

Now I'm not an expert in "spamcatcher" (whatever that is), but "verbose=yes" seems like it would be creating verbose logs, right? And That "dbg_verbose_level=8" might be high?

So:

What is spamcatcher?
Is it integrated into Avast?
Is it a tool I can disable?
What functionality would I lose?

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:31:02 PM »
FYI, this topic has already been reported, let's hope for a reply from the devs soon...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »
I don't have the c:\programdata\avast software\avast\spamconf folder on either my XP or win7 systems and both are running avast free. So either it isn't an element in XP or win7 installations, which I doubt, but more possibly it is an element in avast paid versions.

Taking a bit of a guess based on its folder and file name it is an anti-spam feature (and a look at program features at avast.com), are you using an avast paid version that has anti-spam AIS/Premier ?

If so then you should be able to open its settings and looking for any log/report settings lower the Verbose setting.

Sorry I can't offer anything more practical as I don't have this function installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Amarand Agasi

• Flickr Site
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 03:46:51 AM »
I don't have the c:\programdata\avast software\avast\spamconf folder on either my XP or win7 systems and both are running avast free. So either it isn't an element in XP or win7 installations, which I doubt, but more possibly it is an element in avast paid versions.

Taking a bit of a guess based on its folder and file name it is an anti-spam feature (and a look at program features at avast.com), are you using an avast paid version that has anti-spam AIS/Premier ?

If so then you should be able to open its settings and looking for any log/report settings lower the Verbose setting.

Sorry I can't offer anything more practical as I don't have this function installed.

Ahh yes, sorry, I really need to learn to provide more detail when posting here!

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 1511, waiting for them to work the Anniversary edition out.
Avast Premier (Paid) 12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.6)

It would be nice to know, eventually, if I can re-enable that feature, but with a (rolling? ever-expanding?) 2GB log file, it probably needs a little work.

If the log file settings are set to high verbosity by default, that's probably not good behavior. Could just be a bug? Perhaps they released it accidentally with that specific settings file?  Might be nice, eventually, to have more Advanced settings available under each Avast module.  I know not everyone likes advanced options, but it's nice to have them when you need them - without having to edit a flat-file, which can be challenging for the average computer user.

Offline petr_matrix

• Avast team
  • avast! programmer
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
Hi guys,
as I wrote upper in this thread, delete spamcatcher.conf in "c:\programdata\avast software\avast\spamconf folder" and the big log file and it shouldn't happen again (not sure if repair action wouldn't get it back).

Thanks,
pm

Offline Ziggy Stardust

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
I have the same problem (3.7GB) - I cannot delete the spamcatcher.conf file - Windows 10 Pro Anniversary edition won't let me. I have admin rights and am the owner of the file but I cannot change any security settings for files in that folder. I've tried File Assassin - it couldn't do it even at boot time. I have uninstalled Spam Catcher from within Avast Internet Security 12.3 but all the file are still there.

What gives and how do I get rid of this disk hog of a file?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 08:26:21 PM »
I doubt it is windows stopping you, but the avast self-defence module, AvastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting and uncheck the enable Avast self-defence module. Now you should be able to remove that file.

When don don't forget to enable Avast self-defence module.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security