Author Topic: Dialer and virus problem  (Read 4043 times)

angel74

Dialer and virus problem
« on: February 04, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »
When i turn the pc on, i get a box in the bottom bar saying 'please confirm'.
When i click on this, a box comes up warning me that 'this call is not free, it is being charged at international rates, confirm yes or no'.
I know i am not being charged for anything as i have broadband, and i deffinatly do not have the old dial up cable still attached to the pc - something i got caught out on just a few weeks ago!
The thing is its really bugging me as i cant find anything wrong with the pc!! Avast cant find anything, and nor does any other spyware or virus scans i use.
I have had a 'computer person' look through my pc and cant find anything obvious.
The only thing that i can come up with is that one anti virus thing i use comes up with a warning screan saying a trojan has been found. This is not found however when doing a scan. When searching for the file name, sometimes its there and sometimes its not, and recently it appears to have mutated a bit, with the file name changing slightly. I always delete the file, but continue to get the box up asking me to confirm so dont even know if its conected to the trojan!
The virus detected is just called _p9HepqKBJ.exe
but yesterday was called P9HEPQKBJ.EXE-2B5D3C75.PF
I deleted the file, then turned off system restore. I ran complete scans with loads of different softwares, and then rebooted before turning system resore back on.
I havent recieved the warning about the virus today, but have had the box asking me to confirm.
Oh, and i have checked the conection settings - there is nothing untoward listed.
If anyone has any ideas on whet any of this could be i would appreciate it!
Im not very pc litterate though, so i dont really understand anything technical!
Thanks alot!!!

Spiritsongs

Re: Dialer and virus problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »
 :)  Hi Angel74 :

You definitely have something unwanted in your machine.
      I would encourage you to ask for help on the forums of
      your antiSPYWARE provider ; if you do not know of one,
      go to : www.landzdown.com .

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 05:08:42 PM »
Hi Angel74,

Try a boot time scan with avast!

Right click on the scanner GUI and select 'schedule a boot time scan.'

Set the default to 'move to chest' if you have a cordless keyboard because it won't work during the scan.

In safe mode (tap F8 while booting) run scans with Ad-Aware, Spybot and Ewido.

Ad-Aware http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Spybot Search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/

Ewido http://www.ewido.net/en/

Good luck!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 05:38:32 PM »
Do you connect to the internet by dial-up ?
It sounds like some form of dialer and the programs Frank has listed will gi a long way to remove any dialer.

Another program that is useful is:
Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 06:38:42 PM »

If you have not yet done so, you need to turn off Windows Messenger. This is not needed by most users and was meant mostly for multiple users such as corporations and IT's. Malware writers have learned to use Windows Messenger to enter your computer for delivery of ads, spyware, etc. Do not confuse this with MSN Messenger as it is not the same program. Click the link below to learn how to stop this service. The link includes instructions for all Windows versions.

http://www.pchell.com/support/ipmessaging.shtml

I hope this helps you.    :)

angel74

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
Thanks everyone!
I have just found that my firewall was allowing access to this program, and also discovered yesterday that because we have the pc set up for different users, when i was running a scan it wasnt checking some of the other users files.
Having run a scan while the main user was logged on, we found some unwanted things, which avast removed for us, and ive changed my firewall settings so that it wont allow access to the p_9 hE etc etc.  If im still getting the problems i will start sysematicly working through your suggestions. Thanks!!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 03:18:50 PM »
Rather than wait to experience problems, when you are up to your neck in alligators, the last thing on your mind is to drain the swamp, now is the time to ensure your system security. Working through the solutions and installing the programs suggested (as The Administrator) will confirm your system is clean and more secure for the future.

The boot-time scan as Frank suggests isn't user file selective, it will scan everything before windows if fully established and any user accounts opened. So that is a powerful tool not available in many AVs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security