Author Topic: False Alarm  (Read 3718 times)

wolverine281

False Alarm
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:37:59 AM »
I downloaded PDF reDirect from download.com and when I installed it, it detected OSSMTP.dll to be infected with Win32:Israz-C [Wrm].  Download.com is a reputable site and I was wondering if this is just a false alarm.  My heuristics are set to high.

Thanks guys.

henryjl

Re: False Alarm
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:40:05 AM »
download.com's free softwares are not all safe.
Some of them are full of spywares etc.

Just read peoples comment first before downloading anything in download.com

Hope this helped abit  :-\ if not sorry  ::)

wolverine281

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 04:47:54 AM »
yeah the editors review and user comments were like 4 out of 5.

wolverine281

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:51:57 AM »

henryjl

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 04:57:25 AM »
Sorry if that didn't help  ::)

But you have the same thing as I have! same browser theme same taskbar color etc  ;D ;D

wolverine281

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 04:59:19 AM »
Cool another Opera user ;).  I do appreciate the help though :D.  Anyone else know if this is a real virus? ???

wolverine281

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 05:02:03 AM »
nevermind just found this.

Hi Ninterdo,

Here are the results of my investigation (see below for the boring technical details): the Spysweeper report seems to be a "False Positive" issue with Spysweeper. I have confirmed that PDF reDirect does NOT install any keylogger software. Therefore, I have re-opened the downloads page on the forum. I will provide Spysweeper's reply as soon as I receive it. Note that Norton Anti-Virus, F-Secure and Kaspersky had the same false positive problem, and all of them corrected their definition files to fix the problem. I am hopeful that Spysweeper will do the same.

Thank you again for expressing your concern: I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Once I get confirmation from Spysweeper that the issue was a false positive, would it be acceptable to you that I delete this post? I will keep the original post open though.

Regards,

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Thanks anyways guys. ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 08:57:55 PM »
If you didn't already do that, please submit the misdetected file (OSSMTP.dll) to virus@avast.com so that we can fix the false alarm.
The preferable way is to pack it with ZIP or RAR, protect it with a password and send in an e-mail with "False alarm" subject.