Author Topic: Avast Internet Security suddenly stopped working  (Read 3919 times)

Offline sandi149

Avast Internet Security suddenly stopped working
« on: October 05, 2016, 04:28:44 PM »
I noticed that the home screen on my Avast Internet Security, version 12.3.2280 says that I am "not protected" and that the background service is not running so when I click on "start now" it asks if I want to allow the app to make changes to the program, I click Yes, but nothing happens.  I also notice that in the settings it says that the connection is not established and current version unknown for the virus definitions. When I click on Update I get an error msg saying "failed to update, Avast service is not running"

I have no idea what happened as everything was working fine and now nothing seems to work at all.  The only thing that I can think of is I got a new router from my ISP.  Would that have anything to do with it?

Thanks for any help!
Sandi

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Internet Security suddenly stopped working
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
Perform a repair of avast.
If that doesn't solve it perform a clean installation of the latest avast version.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 05:21:48 PM »
Same exact problem. I left my laptop running last finish a download while I slept, and Windows performed a restart without my permission. Avast has been no working ever since. A repair did nothing to fix the problem, so I'm going to uninstall and redownload and reinstall.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »
FYI - the total reinstall worked. Not sure why Repair didn't, though.

Offline sandi149

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »
I first tried to repair but that didn't work so I did an uninstall and a reinstall and now it works!  Thanks for all your help! :)

Offline Ben2

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »
I tried all the above and I still have the problem where the Avast background services stop working. If this keeps up with no fix I will have no choice but to move to another anti-virus. That's sad as I like Avast.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »
I tried all the above and I still have the problem where the Avast background services stop working. If this keeps up with no fix I will have no choice but to move to another anti-virus. That's sad as I like Avast.
Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0