Author Topic: Firefox Poor Rated Add-Ons Warning  (Read 5038 times)

Offline dougjp

Firefox Poor Rated Add-Ons Warning
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
New today for the first time, on startup of my browser, Avast warned of the following add-ons where users have had bad experiences:

Asynchronous Plugin Rendering
D3D9 Acceleration Fall Back

Searching found little, although I think one or both are part of Firefox. So I didn't accept Avast's prompt to delete them. Anyone else getting this when they never had before? Is it a bug?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Firefox Poor Rated Add-Ons Warning
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
Information > https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Asynchronous_Plugin_Rendering

It is correct that avast detects it is a hardly used add-on as it is a brand new one.
The rating will change as more avast users install/have the add-on.

Offline dougjp

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »
Information > https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Asynchronous_Plugin_Rendering

It is correct that avast detects it is a hardly used add-on as it is a brand new one.
The rating will change as more avast users install/have the add-on.

On further searching, I see both were introduced or changed with the Firefox 49.0 release. This was a month ago, September 20. I don't understand why neither of them were flagged by Avast until today?

Offline safra

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:30:12 PM »
I just got the message too when I started my computer. I am confused as in my addon list both names don't appear at all. Strange enough, Avast told me the addons have a bad reputation from much more avast users.

Offline Lotan

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:54:11 PM »
I just got the message too when I started my computer. I am confused as in my addon list both names don't appear at all. Strange enough, Avast told me the addons have a bad reputation from much more avast users.

You wont see them listed on the addon page as they are a official firefox background addon and are hidden. There was an incident about a month or so back with the addon "web compat" which is also hidden, been flagged by avast, But avast quickly fixed the issue.

Offline safra

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »

You wont see them listed on the addon page as they are a official firefox background addon and are hidden. There was an incident about a month or so back with the addon "web compat" which is also hidden, been flagged by avast, But avast quickly fixed the issue.

Ah thank you bunches, that explains it! So I will ignore it.  :)

Offline Lotan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »

Ah thank you bunches, that explains it! So I will ignore it.  :)
I would unless someone here says otherwise or you can just use avast to disable them but not remove. I have also just gotten the "poor rated add-ons message now after restarting my firefox. I'm sure Avast will fix this FP soon like they did with web compat.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:21:47 AM »
Just got this just now, noticed also poor performance with flash/html5(one or the other) videos earlier on? Related?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:42 AM »
I just got this a few hours as well. I was in middle of something and I accidentally clicked to remove. Now what?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 08:47:07 AM »
Supertramps,
please do not ask the same question in multiple threads.

djagility,
please read the draft from Mozilla.

Offline Lotan

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
looks like the issue is now fixed and no more alerts