Author Topic: Mailshield and Gyazmail  (Read 1873 times)

REDACTED

Mailshield and Gyazmail
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:30:32 AM »
I am new around here, so please bear with my stumbling around.   I'm so new, I misplaced this message on the PC forums yesterday.

I am on an "ancient" macbook that can only use OS X 10.7.5 and I started using Avast to give another layer of security on a machine that no longer gets security updates.  As I continue to use this machine, I am staying on the linux partition more and more, but there are programs I need on the Mac side.

The email program I have been using for many years is a relatively obscure one out of Japan, Gyazmail, that is built via Cocoa for the Mac, and has nearly all the features I need in an email client.  (There are things about Apple's native Mail that I cannot abide, and Thunderbird is too clunky.  Other likely clients have moved on from my platform.)

Since using Avast!, I have run into a peculiar problem.  Of the three accounts collected on my email client, the primary one offers up a complaint when attempting to download from the server:

"Gyazmail: error occurred while receiving messages.
POP protocol error: -ERR Mate, the command must be one of CPRA, USER, PASS or Quit."

The other two accounts, on IMAP, the other POP, have no complaints.

When I disable the email shield in Avast!, the complaint stops.

Does anyone have a clue why this error occurs?

Thanks!

--J

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Mailshield and Gyazmail
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:46:29 AM »
What is the POP3 server of the "broken" account?

REDACTED

Re: Mailshield and Gyazmail
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply, tumic.

If you mean my incoming mail server for the specific account, it is

"mail.cruzio.com"   set to STARTTLS and to verify the certificate.

--J