Author Topic: win32: malware-gen detected in boot time scan after MBAM scan  (Read 2545 times)

REDACTED

win32: malware-gen detected in boot time scan after MBAM scan
« on: November 13, 2016, 10:53:56 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a bit of expert advice on this one. Any help/information you can give is GREATLY appreciated. I need this computer to work properly for my work.

I think I am symptom free as of right now but I need to make sure that my system is completely clean.

Trying not to be too wordy: In October, I run boot time scan and malware is found. Avast says it is cleaned. I move on. Recently, Avast repeatedly detects malware (via threat detected pop-ups), scan returns nothing. I try boot time scan, malware detected(Somoto-J[PUP]), quarantined and removed. Avast continues to randomly detect malware in temp files. After another boot time scan, Im slammed with 1000's of javaws.exe processes. I restart and uninstall java and download MBAM and FRST. I scan with FRST and MBAM finds a bunch and removes all after reboot. Second MBAM scan including rootkits returns nothing. So to double check, I run another boot-time scan, and Avast finds ANOTHER win32:malware-gen in the temp files. I have since cleaned out the entire temp folder to see if that will help but I fear something may be hiding in registry,etc. lastly, I just downloaded aswMBR and did a quick scan.

I am following advice posted here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 but I found that later on and didn't follow the same order.

Attached are: FRST log, addition.txt, MBAM initial scan log, and aswMBR.txt

Again, any help with this is GREATLY appreciated. It is crucial that I get this computer clean and working properly.

Please let me know if any further details are required.

REDACTED

Re: win32: malware-gen detected in boot time scan after MBAM scan
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:56:21 PM »
Also attaching the scan logs from avast to see if that will help at all....

Couldn't find the Report folder in avast's files and searched for the aswboot.txt and couldn't find that either so I am attaching screenshots from the avast GUI.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 11:11:13 PM »
FRST should always be run last as it then will show status after any detection/removal

Malware expert is notified, it may take hours before he is online

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:20:39 PM »
Pondus,

Thank you for the swift reply.

And noted. I ran another FRST scan and attached the new logs just in case that will be helpful.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 11:40:02 PM »
In case you dont know, PUP = Possible Unwanted Program
Avast PUP detection is default off in all shields/scan except for boot scan, so if you want pup detection you need to turn it on in all shields/scan you want it

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 11:58:33 PM »
I knew what PUPs are, but found out that tidbit about bootscans in recent research. I have since enabled scanning for PUPs in Avast settings.

Thanks again.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 04:39:33 AM »
Have there been any further detections since running Malwarebytes' Antimalware?  (Asking because the last FRST scan / logs look clean.)
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 11:30:46 PM »
Nope. Seems to be running clean now. I ran a full system scan with all of the options turned on in Avast and it came up with nothing. Thanks for your help!

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 07:36:37 AM »
You're welcome!!  8)
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE