Author Topic: Cookies in SafeZone Browser  (Read 3486 times)

Offline kkrelove1

Cookies in SafeZone Browser
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:17:23 AM »
I participate in a Bulletin Board discussion group using a web browser. When things are working right (which they do in all of my browsers except Avast! SafeZone) new messages are flagged as "New"  and, when I read them, the flag goes away. Threads show a "New" flag when a new message is available in the thread and the flag goes away once I have read the most recent message. All of this works in SafeZone just as it does in the other browsers. What isn't working correctly is that, if I close the other browsers and then later open them up and return to the BB, the threads that were already read earlier that don't have new messages remain unflagged. When I reopen SafeZone all threads are flagged as "New" again as are the messages inside them.

The owner of the BB says the flag data is contained in cookies. My SafeZone settings currently allow cookies to be set and the choice to keep them only until the session ends is not set. What else could explain this behavior? Something in SafeZone settings? Something in Avast!'s security settings?  I spend a lot of time on the BB and this is preventing me from using SafeZone, which I like very much otherwise.

From Eddy:
What version of the SafeZone browser ? 1.48.2066.101
Do you have the same problem on other webboards ? (e.g. this webboard) Don't know - this is my first experience here.
What webboard software is used ? Phorum
What is the webboard address ? http://test.woodwind.org/clarinet/BBoard/list.html?f=1

Karl Krelove
Modify message

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Cookies in SafeZone Browser
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »
The owner of the webboard should update the software and not be using a (real) old version of it.

From the Phorum developer(s):
In Phorum 3, the data for the new message indicators was stored inside cookies. That way, both registered and unregistered users could see them. However, because of many cookie problems that plagued Phorum 3, we decided to store all user settings in the database for Phorum 5 instead.

Offline kkrelove1

Re: Cookies in SafeZone Browser
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »
That's interesting. I don't have any control over the BB owner, although I will pass this along. Thanks for checking into it.

I'm still puzzled about why, among the four browsers I use in Win10 (leaving out the ones I use on a separate Linux machine) only SafeZone has this problem accessing or making use of the data that's stored in the cookies. Since the only software/hardware I can control is what's running on my machine, I wish there were a way to solve this problem from  my end.

Thanks, again.