Author Topic: Scheduling Scan  (Read 3896 times)

REDACTED

Scheduling Scan
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:25:58 PM »
Although I have consistently set the Auto Scan for a specific time to run, the actual scan never runs at that time. For example, the schedule was set for Friday 17:30, the scan actually started the next day, Saturday, at about 06:50 after the PC had been in use for about one hour. What am I missing in setting/understanding the scheduling of the auto-scan? I will attempt to attach screen shots showing the latest example of this.  Bill.
NOTE: The 8:49 time shown in very lowest right corner is time photos were made. Times related to this msg are indicated by red arrows.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Scheduling Scan
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »
Do you use a screensaver? 

-Then maybe screensaver scan is the ting for you > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6EcoLK5H8

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:04:40 PM »
What Operating System are you using ?

Was the system in sleep/hibernate mode at the time ?
Did you have the settings set to wake up from sleep ?

The reason I ask this is Windows 10 has a fast start mode so it actually doesn't go to sleep/hibernate mode. So it isn't in sleep mode and avast doesn't wake it up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
I am running Windows 10. I was actually using the PC, had been using it for about an hour when the Avast screen appeared to tell me that it had started a scan. I do have Wake Up from Sleep set. (I believe this is visible on my attached A 2 file.)
On another subject, I would like to find that Fast Start mode - it takes several seconds each time I wake it up to log on. Not nearly as fast as my old Windows 7 was. However, I can check later with MS on this - not really your issue, I guess.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:07:40 PM »
Unfortunately (some would say) I don't use windows 10, so I don't know exactly how to do that. But I believe it will or could be an option in your power settings, if it is following previous logic about power options, settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
I would like to find that Fast Start mode
This may help  >>  http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-turn-on-or-off-fast-startup-in-windows-10-3633021/

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 02:27:15 AM »
Thanks to all who have replied. I would like to continue to work on the original issue = Scheduling of Scan. (Thanks for the hints on Windows 10 start-up; I plan to work that one at a later time.)
My original request:
Although I have consistently set the Auto Scan for a specific time to run, the actual scan never runs at that time. For example, the schedule was set for Friday 17:30, the scan actually started the next day, Saturday, at about 06:50 after the PC had been in use for about one hour. What am I missing in setting/understanding the scheduling of the auto-scan? I will attempt to attach screen shots showing the latest example of this.  Bill.
NOTE: The 8:49 time shown in very lowest right corner is time [the] photos were made. Times related to this msg [above] are indicated by red arrows.
PS: Please see the original post for the attached photos of screen shots mentioned above. Or advise if new posts of the photos are needed.

Help is still needed on this issue of Scheduling the Auto-Scan, Please continue to advise on this issue.   Bill.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
The problem can be the power saving settings you have in Windows.

What is listed as scheduled task in Windows for avast?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:05:40 AM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
Thanks, Eddy, for your reply. To respond to your question, here are settings for Power Saver:
Turn off the display:             5 minutes;
Put the computer to sleep:    5 minutes.
The settings shown above are for "Power Saver", but I don't see any connection there, or in any other power settings, specifically to Avast. Am I missing something here?
Also my PC is desktop, always directly AC powered (not running on batteries). I always have "Balanced" power plan selected for this PC. (This "Balanced" plan also has same settings as shown above for the "Power Saver" plan, = 5 mins & 5 mins.) Is this something we should explore further? I have two additional plans = "High performance", & "Dell". I selected "Balanced" plan for my PC because that one is shown as "recommended" by W-10(?) on my PC.
Your comments??   Bill.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 08:37:16 PM »
UPDATE on Scheduling a Scan: I have made several tests since my Nov 20, 2016 06:14:54 PM post. Here is a summary of those tests and results.
1. The Power Settings for all power plans were confirmed to be at default (original PC/Windows 10) values. Results of AuotScan were still unusual and similar to those reported before - see prior posts below.
2. I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled a fresh copy to make certain I was running a totally correct and totally up to date version of Avast. Again, results of Autoscan were still unusual and similar to those reported in posts below.
3. All previous tests were with Avast set to return the PC to Sleep state after scan completed. For this test (#3), I set Avast to Shut Down the system after the scan finished. The PC was shut down after scan completed = correct result. AutoScan was scheduled to start at 23:30 11/25/2016 (Friday); according to the report, the reported scan run time was 3:03:25, which would mean the scan finished at 2:33:25 the next day, Saturday. However, the reported completion time was 1:01:44 Saturday, which does not agree with times shown just above.
So in summary, several issues remain:
A. AutoScan does not run at times set in options if Return to Sleep option is selected;
B. Performance for AutoScan is also not as expected if Shut Down option is selected.

A new issue noticed during these tests is when Return to Sleep option is selected, the actual resulting sleep after scanning is completed is a cycle of 1 minute Sleep, followed by 5 minutes of some sort of PC activity (Hard Drive and PC pilot lights continuously cycling/blinking), followed by repeat of this cycle (1 min sleep, 5 mins of lights cycling) until PC is totally manually rebooted from totally Off condition.

I don't know how much of this total set of issues is due to Windows 10 and how much is due to Avast - or some other cause. If ANYONE has suggestions to resolve, please post. I have seen no problems in actual protection of my PC related to these issues; however, the issues leave me concerned about overall performance. Help, please.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
Hello, Forum Experts. Just checking in to see if any additional info is needed from me on my Topic of Auto-Scheduling of Scans. If you are following this string of posts on this topic, or are testing to confirm my results, or (hopefully) working to resolve/fix the issue, please post to let me know any progress. Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »
Hello, Forum Helpers. This post is to update results of additional testing, primarily related to the unintended cycle of 1 minute Sleep, followed by 5 minutes of some sort of PC activity (Wake) which repeats until PC is manually clicked to normal Wake state, or until PC is manually rebooted. (See prior comments on this below in prior posts.) For this testing, I removed the PC from the Internet (turned the DSL modem OFF) and accessed the Task Manager. I stopped or deactivated one program at a time, manually put the PC in Sleep mode and observed whether the Sleep/Wake cycle continued or ceased to repeat. I continued one program at a time until, at last, the Sleep/Wake cycle stopped - the PC stayed in the Sleep mode or could be moved to Wake mode as intended by normal clicking of the mouse. This last program removed which produced this state of not repeating the Sleep/Wake cycle was Avast. This indicates to me that Avast is causing, or is at least a major contributing factor to causing, the Sleep/Wake cycle to repeat. I am concerned about just what is going on during this Sleep/Wake cycle - are the files being copied/exercised/reloaded/shuffled/what?

Two reasons for removing the PC from the Internet during this testing:
1.  To make sure something from the Internet was not the culprit = causing the repeating Sleep/Wake cycle;
2.  To prevent virus or other bad stuff entering the PC while Avast was not operating (last item stopped above).

In summary, as I see it at least three issues remain:
A. AutoScan does not run at times set in options if Return to Sleep option is selected (see prior posts below);
B. Performance for AutoScan is also not as expected if Shut Down option is selected (see prior posts below);
C. A strange Sleep/Wake cycle occurs and repeats as described above and in prior posts.

Possibly these issues do not occur for installations other than mine, or possibly they do occur, but are not recognized or given any attention by users.
Anyone having advice on these items, please reply. I would like to resolve these issues and feel comfortable continuing to use Avast. Thanks,  Bill.