Author Topic: Undetected virus, is it new?  (Read 4019 times)

REDACTED

Undetected virus, is it new?
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
Hi Guys,

Recently, I mistakenly double clicked on a .scr file (I thought it was a video.. duh..)

Fully up to date Avast did not react when I downloaded it or opened it.
When I clicked it, nothing happened.. I soon realised my mistake & unplugged my network cable, then rebooted.. and started all kind of malware / virus scans (sideloaded via USB)

2 days later, I received a registered letter from my ISP informing me that my PC was infected with a worm / trojan and that I have 48 hours to react or they will disconnect me.
The timestamp on the letter where they started to detect suspicous activity was exactly the same time I clicked on the .scr.

I know this because I have the timestamp in the logs of adwcleaner which I ran right after I rebooted.

So.. basically, I have a 700mb .scr file which no malware or antivirus software seems to recognise.. but which is 99% certain to be infected with something.

Since then, I have done a clean re-install of windows.. because I didn't trust the PC any more!

But, I really want Avast to detect this so I can scan the other PCs on my home network (I want to find out if it managed to spread).

I just created a ticket with Avast, but I wanted to know if there is something else I could / should do?

Any advice?

Thanks
Will

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Undetected virus, is it new?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »
Could have been a PUP and detection for that is by default disabled in avast (for legal reasons).

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:46:48 PM »
I just created a ticket with Avast, but I wanted to know if there is something else I could / should do?
Do you still have the scr file?

Upload and test it at www.virustotal.com  and post link to scan result here

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »
That won't work.
Maximum file size: 128MB
According to the OP the file is 700Mb (which should already make all alarms start)

Would be really large screensaver  ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »
what size if zipped ?

alternative submit to avast ftp  >>  https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB160

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »
Hmm.. I enabled PUP in avast settings and re-scanned the file.
Still "no threat found"

Ahh.. update:
As the file was 700mb, I could not use any of the online scanners.
However, I just zipped the file and it shrank to under 1mb..
Now I am getting some positive matches on virustotal:
AVG           Luhe.Fiha.A               
Baidu       Archive.Bomb   
DrWeb       Trojan.PWS.Multi.911
ESET-NOD32   a variant of MSIL/Injector.CVJ
Ikarus       Trojan-Spy.MSIL   
Invincea   worm.msil.mofin.a
Sophos       Troj/dnCreek-A   
VBA32       suspected of ZIP.MailBomb

But still 50 AV companies are finding nothing.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »
as said, post link to scan result, lots of vital info is missed in a copy paste

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
Sorry, I missed the "post link" part.. tbh your posts came in while I was posting my reply so we seem to be working in parallel :)

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/06c3c252403aaad3d31e5d517f66d864aa764698c75e5817d5b79b8025850592/analysis/1481230304/

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 10:09:34 PM »
The link part was in my first post   ;) 

anyway not important, now we have MD5 and more info so avast can fetch it from VT

I will notify somone

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »
McAfee doesn't detect it when scanned with VT, but sure does recognize this tojan.
https://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virusprofile.aspx?key=8987303#none

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 10:19:17 PM »
if it helps, my ticket with avast is #624098

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 10:36:01 PM »
@     will.jones
This is certainly a strange one. Call me suspicious (OK I am).  I would have been equally suspicious of the correspondence from your ISP (if it truly was) I just wonder why they went down the route of snail mail. That sort of thing also smacks of some sort of scam.

Quote from: will.jones
2 days later, I received a registered letter from my ISP informing me that my PC was infected with a worm / trojan and that I have 48 hours to react or they will disconnect me.
The timestamp on the letter where they started to detect suspicous activity was exactly the same time I clicked on the .scr.

Though, given the fact VT confirms the file to be malicious would tend to support the ISP letter, though that is damn strange it came by snail mail.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
Though, given the fact VT confirms the file to be malicious would tend to support the ISP letter, though that is damn strange it came by snail mail.

Hmm.. I see what you mean, but I kind of went in the other direction.. snail mail means serious.. if they had sent an email I would have possibly ignored it.
TBH, kudos to my ISP (Cablecom Switzerland) for reacting quickly.
My PC was infected on the 5th Dec at 22:30, they sent a mail on the 6th, which I got on the 7th.
That is very good for a big corporation.

In any case I had already killed the virus on the 5th (I hope), but if they do this to all PCs on their network they could really make a difference.

I also received a notification from them saying the activity has stopped now, so the case is closed on my ISP's side.

Now I just want confirmation that all my home network PCs are clean.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 12:04:01 AM »
Yes there are lots of scams like this (so I'm always on the lookout for them), people telephoning you purporting to be Microsoft or sum such support to tell you you are infected. Or the email route to try and get you to visit a site to get cleaned up etc.

I had never come across an ISP actually sending you a letter. Most of the scams are normally email based.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »
I had never come across an ISP actually sending you a letter.
I know of one here that do, and will notify you of suspicious activity