Author Topic: Web Shield Alert History  (Read 2867 times)

REDACTED

Web Shield Alert History
« on: December 27, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
Where can I find the alert history for Avast Web Shield popups? I hate to be the guy asking a question that's been asked all over but the answers I can find on the forum don't help. I got 2 Avast warnings in rapid succession and I can't get back to see what the first one was.

I already found logs in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report, but the files there haven't been updated in 13 days according to the date modified information, so that doesn't contain today's alert.

I also found the Right Click > Show Last Popup option. But that doesn't help either... I need the second to last popup.

Can't I easily access a history of alerts from within the program itself anywhere?

Thanks!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Web Shield Alert History
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »
History in the application would use the log file(s).
If nothing is in the log files, there is no information.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »
There is no history within the program itself, there used to be a Stats Section but that was very limited and has been removed for revision, but no fixed date for its return.

The file that contains the data is the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\WebShield.txt, have you got that file ?
If not (or even if you have) check the avastUI > Settings > Components > Web Shield > Customize > Report and ensure that 'Generate report file' is enabled.  If it is enabled then at the very least it should show the time it started and stopped for the day - so it should be getting updated, even if for this alone.

The Show Last Popup option only retains the last popup - if you have had another or you have rebooted - you can't go further back.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:58:02 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 05:58:39 PM »
The file that contains the data is the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\WebShield.txt, have you got that file ?
If not (or even if you have) check the avastUI > Settings > Components > Web Shield > Customize > Report and ensure that 'Generate report file' is enabled.

Thanks for the help. Yes, I do have the file, but its "Date Modified" in Windows is two weeks ago, so it can't possibly have an update from yesterday, because that would have been a write event to the text file.

Generate Report File is checked, for Infected Items and Hard Errors. Soft Errors, OK Items, and Skipped Items are not checked. Are blocked script warnings perhaps a part of the latter 3 categories?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 05:59:33 PM »
Open the log file and see what the last date/time mentioned is.