Author Topic: Windows Disk Protection  (Read 5361 times)

HomeNet

Windows Disk Protection
« on: February 21, 2006, 05:20:12 AM »
I'm using the MS Shared Computer Toolkit on several PCs that are running Avast Pro.  I'd like to start using Windows Disk Protection and I know some antiviruses can work with this.  I found this on their FAQ site:
Q. Does the toolkit allow you to use antivirus or anti-spyware programs?
A. Yes. Microsoft recommends the use of antivirus or anti-spyware programs in addition to the protections provided by the toolkit.

Windows Disk Protection will detect McAfee VirusScan and Computer Associates eTrust and offer to update these products automatically.

It allows for that and Automatic Updates.  I was wondering if it works with Avast's software.  It also says something about using an antivirus update script but I'm not sure if avast will work off a script or not.

Any help would be great!

2-20-06
2319 EST
Rob @ HomeNet

CharleyO

Re: Windows Disk Protection
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »

I guess this is one that will have to be answered by awil team members ... unless one of the avast users just happen to know from prior experience.    :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:18:38 PM »
Hi Rob,

an interesting question, indeed.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to test it yet, but I *think* it should be as easy as using the ashUpd.exe program as the script.

That is, try using something like

<avast-path>\ashUpd.exe vps

I'd be very grateful if you could test it and eventually confirm if it's working or not. If it is, we can create a FAQ entry about this so that other users will be able to benefit from the information as well.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

HomeNet

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:51:35 PM »
Hi Rob,

an interesting question, indeed.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to test it yet, but I *think* it should be as easy as using the ashUpd.exe program as the script.

That is, try using something like

<avast-path>\ashUpd.exe vps

I'd be very grateful if you could test it and eventually confirm if it's working or not. If it is, we can create a FAQ entry about this so that other users will be able to benefit from the information as well.

Thanks
Vlk

Yes, I'll try to do that this weekend and see if/how it works.  I'm gussing the string you gave me will run the typical update that pulls down deffinition and program updates?

3-3-06
1448 EST
Rob

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 08:01:07 PM »
The command I gave you only updates the virus definitions (hence the "vps" argument) but that's probably what you want to do automatically.

To update the program itself, you can use the same program (ashUpd.exe) with the "program" argument. But I wouldn't recommend doing this automatically (it's better [more conservative] to do it manually).

Thanks
Vlk

HomeNet

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »
The command I gave you only updates the virus definitions (hence the "vps" argument) but that's probably what you want to do automatically.

To update the program itself, you can use the same program (ashUpd.exe) with the "program" argument. But I wouldn't recommend doing this automatically (it's better [more conservative] to do it manually).

Thanks
Vlk

I played with it a little...  I made a .cmd batch file and I ran it alone and it looked OK.  I set up the software to do stuff with it and it looked like it didn't take.  I'm no coding masta but I'd like to think I can make a simple batch file...  The file extensions it "can use" are .cmd, .bat & several windows script files (not sure of the extensions).  Perhaps we can try one of those windows script files...  Like I said, I'm no coding masta so any help on that would be good.

3-7-06
0910 EST
Rob @ HomeNet

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 11:34:35 PM »
Well it should be as simple as creating a batch file, e.g. called avastupdate.cmd, with the following (one-line) content

@c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashUpd.exe vps

That's it.
Would that work?

Thanks
Vlk

HomeNet

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »
Well it should be as simple as creating a batch file, e.g. called avastupdate.cmd, with the following (one-line) content

@c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashUpd.exe vps

That's it.
Would that work?

Thanks
Vlk

I've not forgotten about this.  I've been rather busy and am wanting to look into this some more.  I'm planning on being on-site next week.

3-17-06
Rob @ HomeNet

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
Avast 4.7 should solve this.
Please see here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_plus_wdp.html

Thanks
Vlk

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 06:05:20 PM »

Though I have no need for this, I think this is a nice addition to avast! 4.7 for those who need it.    8)

HomeNet

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 07:22:58 PM »
Avast 4.7 should solve this.
Please see here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_plus_wdp.html

Thanks
Vlk

Ah, yes, this will be nice.  I've not had much time to deal with this.  However, over the next few days, I'm to be on a few sites that use Microsoft Shared Computing Toolkit and I'll have to make sure they have 4.7 installed.  If I run into any issues, I'll post them here.

4-19-06
1322 EDT
Rob