Author Topic: Reg entry left behind after CClean  (Read 3500 times)

Offline alfieb2000

Reg entry left behind after CClean
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »
I have the latest version of Avast Free 12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.23) Winows 8.1. I do a regular CClean and after each clean I end up with something that can't be moved. My latest is "The COM component CLSID\{F319F1B8-7587-4146-AF9C-0D6D77819BF1} references an invalid CLSID. These are often left behind after uninstalling software."

I've tried looking in regedit but can't locate the entry (on a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being amateur and 10 being expert - I run in at a 3 or 4). Can anyone explain where to find the entry OR if there a workaround, still in Avast, that can help remove the entry?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Reg entry left behind after CClean
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »
Is the file related to avast ?

If a general CCleaner problem i suggest CCleaner forum

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
If CCleaner (I assume you meant that with CClean) finds it, but you can't with regedit, it is likely a problem with CCleaner.
In that case you should ask the people at Piriform for help.

Offline alfieb2000

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »
Yes CCleaner, sorry mis type :)

File is associated to Activex/COM

With some persistence, and a little online searching, I managed to locate the entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT CLSID but when I got to the entry, and try to manually delete it I get an error "Cannot delete)

Any suggestions??

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
You will need to take ownership/have permissions to delete it.
But that has nothing to do with this forum.
I suggest you take it to Microsoft Windows forum.

Offline alfieb2000

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 02:21:27 PM »
Thanks, Eddy, I'll pop over to their forum and get assistance.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
"A COM class is an implementation of a group of interfaces in code executed whenever you interact with a given object. ... COM uses this CLSID, at the request of a client, to associate specific data with the DLL or EXE containing the code that implements the class, thus creating an instance of the object."

So I'd assume that the DLL or EXE in this case is perhaps a protected system file and you'd would indeed, as Eddy has just indicated, need the correct permissions to be able to delete it. CCleaner must have System permission already to delete a lot of the stuff it does so that suggests it may be or is associated with an system important file so you'd be pretty stupid to do anything without knowing more about it.

I've not had anything similar happen with the CCleaner's registry cleaner but if it were me I'd have run Chkdsk (both options ticked) and SFC (System File Checker) before even thinking about messing around with the regedit.

But, like others here have said, I wondered what on earth has anything about this matter to do with AVAST.

Then I Googled and quite a few references associate AVAST with this particular CLSID and the information actually comes from a tool used through this forum for fixing problems: the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.

The example I found is actually from the Malwarebytes forum:-

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/166808-system-hijack/#comment-956847

the specific section of the Farbar scan referenced is under System Errors:-

Error: (03/31/2015 08:24:12 AM) (Source: DCOM) (EventID: 10005) (User: )
Description: 1053AvastVBoxSvc{F319F1B8-7587-4146-AF9C-0D6D77819BF1}

The experts here can make of this what they will but it does suggest the problem, such as it is, might actually be AVAST related.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »
If avast related you may need to turn off avast self protection for CCleaner to be able to clear it