Author Topic: Bagel Worm  (Read 2492 times)

irvdk

Bagel Worm
« on: February 24, 2006, 04:59:04 AM »
I have a question regarding Avast Free Home Edition.  I was working on a machine for my brother-in-law that had Norton on it. I knew it was infected so I went to Kaspersky and Nod32 online scanners.  I then un-installed Nortons and installed the latest version of Avast with updates. The worm was called Win32.exe openopen.  Also known as emailworm win32 or bagel.gen.  Avast would not find it although I could see the files win32.exe open, win32.exe openopen, win32.exe openopenopen.  I could see the files in the registry also.
this is an old virus and I do ot understand why it did not find it.
Could someone help me to understand?
Thanks in advance,
Irv

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Bagel Worm
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 04:39:47 PM »
There is a possibility that there are remnants of NAV still on your system, if avast finds these it may not install fully to avoid conflict. However, a warning message is usually displayed.

Another link worth looking at which is a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Run the Norton tool, reboot, uninstall avast, reboot, install, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security