Author Topic: False positive or malware?  (Read 2629 times)

REDACTED

False positive or malware?
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »
I got the following popup twice on start up before I connected to the internet. Is this a false positive or should I be concerned about malware?

REDACTED

Re: False positive or malware?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »
svchost.exe (Service Host, or SvcHost) is a system process that hosts multiple Windows services in the Windows NT family of operating systems. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost.exe )

If avast is telling you svchost is infected, you're infected.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »
Attach your basic diagnostic logs. (MBAM and FRST)
Instructions: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=194892
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
Thanks for your help. I've attached my basic logs

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
OK, now you've to wait a bit...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
Please run the following and tell us how your system is.

Open notepad by pressing the Windows Key + R Key, typing in Notepad in the Run dialog and then pressing Enter.  Please copy the contents of the Code box below. To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it and select copy (or you can just click on the (select) next to Code Box). Paste this into the open notepad. Save it to your desktop as fixlist.txt

Code: [Select]
Start
CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers
End

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Run FRST64 by right clicking on the FRST64.exe file, selecting "Run as Administrator..".  The User Account Control may open up; if it does, select Yes to continue to let FRST open and load. 

The tool will check for an updated version of itself every time it loads; please allow it to do this and the program will either inform you it is downloading an updated copy (and to wait until it is safe to continue) or show nothing (meaning there is no update found) and you can continue on.  Press the Fix button just once and wait.  The tool will create a restore point, process the script and ask for a restart of your system.

If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.

When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach it to your reply post.  Also, tell me how your system is running now.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
131.253.61.66 was a false positive, you do not have to be concerned about being infected (unless there are other popups :) ).