Author Topic: Victoria2.exe Game from Paradox Interactive through Steam  (Read 2653 times)

REDACTED

Victoria2.exe Game from Paradox Interactive through Steam
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
Hello all,

I'm having issues wit a false positive:
Victoria2.exe Game from Paradox Interactive through Steam
File path C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Victoria 2\Victoria2.exe  which is started through Steam which I suspect triggers Avast and although I sort of agree that one executable starting another executable is suspicious behavior it does give me a problem because only through this executable I can update the game (I can start the game in an alternative way) .
When I go to the virus chest and choose restore and add to exclusions it doesn't solve the problem, adding the Steam folders and executable to exceptions through settings components file system shield and behavior  shield doesn't solve the problem either, Avast keeps moving the executable to the virus chest again and again.
Also when I choose the option in the virus chest Submit to virus lab no splash screen is opened.
Avast Virus Chest properties of file:
Category Infected files
Virus description IDP.Generic
File ID 64

I did a repair of Avast as well but still the problem persists.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?

Thanks in advance
Kind regards,
PP van Dijk

PS I cannot send you (Avast) the file because Avast persists in moving it to the Virus Chest!
PPS my settings in the Behavior Shield are set to always ask but it doesn't ask anything it just keeps moving the executable to the Virus Chest without notification or anything.
PPS even with all Avast shields off (NIC turned off) Avast persists in removing the file!!!

Oh I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:25:23 PM by ppvdyk »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Victoria2.exe Game from Paradox Interactive through Steam
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
Yes, you can send the file.
Do it from the chest or
- disable the avast shields
- send the file
- enable the shields

https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

REDACTED

Re: Victoria2.exe Game from Paradox Interactive through Steam
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »
Hi Eddy,

Thanks for your swift reply.
I can't send the file from the Virus Chest since when I choose the option in the virus chest Submit to virus lab no splash screen is opened.(No popup)
When I choose restore file and exclude through the virus chest it acts as if it does this, giving me a popup screen asking "Are you sure you want to add the selected files to the list of global exclusions", but then it either does not restore the file at all or just removes it again immediately after doing so.(Choosing restore only gives the same result.)
(If I stay in the folder and press F5 to refresh I don't see the file showing up at all.)
Since I can't get Avast to restore the file I can't upload it through the contact form either.

Disabling the shields (until computer is restarted) doesn't change anything, it still doesn't restore the file from the virus chest and when I choose disable shields permanently the avast ui doesn't open after doing so, so I can't access the virus chest.(And strangely after restarting does start Avast without even asking.)

Oh I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:07:54 PM by ppvdyk »