Author Topic: VB100 awards question  (Read 7037 times)

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
VB100 awards question
« on: March 03, 2006, 07:32:21 PM »
Hi my friends ;D

I have lately noticed something very strange. In the NOD32 Bulgarian site there are some results from the VB100 awards, which shows that ONLY NOD32 has detected all viruses in the test. As far as I know the award is given to someone only if the product has detected ALL samples in the test, or I am wrong. Also these test are available only on the Bulgarian page of NOD32, not on the English, and thats strange. My opinion is that this is only marketing things, or maybe I am wrong. Any opinions about that.
BTW the address is http://www.nod32.bg/main.php?id=16 - the first table is for the February test, the second column from the table shows how many viruses has the product missed.
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: VB100 awards question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »
Hi .:X:M:A:S:.

I thought this was an outstanding good AV product.
When a Dutch antispyware forum reopened they gave away free Nod subscriptions. I always was under the impression Bulgarian and Romanian coders were among the best.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:11:16 PM »
ONLY NOD32 has detected all viruses in the test.
My opinion is that this is only marketing things
You're right... besides it's a good antivirus it's not truth... so, this is against them: publishing lies is not a good advertisement of ESET policies...  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »
Well the Feb Test had 20 pass the VB100 including avast.

avast also got a VB100 award in 4 of the last 5 tests,in the one that it didn't get one, it wasn't entered in the test, I assume because avast doesn't support that platform.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:54:31 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 12:08:17 AM »

Yes, since it has the grey "no entry" box, I would say it is because Netware 6.5 is not supported.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:16:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies my friends ;D

Now I will report that in one Bulgarian forum, because all there say: "Wowww look, look, only NOD32 has detected all the viruses in the VB test. It's great"  :P And that makes me really mad, because this isn't true.  :P

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 05:46:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies my friends ;D

Now I will report that in one Bulgarian forum, because all there say: "Wowww look, look, only NOD32 has detected all the viruses in the VB test. It's great"  :P And that makes me really mad, because this isn't true.  :P

Well I wouldn't say it's not true... NOD32 is really one of the best (if not the best) AV solutions out there. Can't deny something that's obvious. We all tend to feel "patriotic" when it comes to avast!, but hey... let' not lose the focus from what's important and that's AV efficiency, not personal preference.

Just to mention that NOD32 is unbelievable light, and your system starts at least twice as faster than with avast! installed on the same machine (of course not in the same time)... so that also means something... so I wouldn't be that much against the fact that NOD32 really is one of the best out there.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »
Well I wouldn't say it's not true... NOD32 is really one of the best (if not the best) AV solutions out there. Can't deny something that's obvious. We all tend to feel "patriotic" when it comes to avast!, but hey... let' not lose the focus from what's important and that's AV efficiency, not personal preference.

Just to mention that NOD32 is unbelievable light, and your system starts at least twice as faster than with avast! installed on the same machine (of course not in the same time)... so that also means something... so I wouldn't be that much against the fact that NOD32 really is one of the best out there.
Hi Sasha :) I'm not saing that NOD32 isn't good AV, I admit that it's very good, but It's not fair to publish lies(about VB100 tests) on their site just to recieve more customers. That doesn't seems right to me  ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 04:44:17 PM »
VB tests actually include more parts - besides the ITW test (which is the one you get the VB100 award for), there's also something like a zoo test - which is probably what you see on the page. You won't see these results unless you have the VB magazine.
I'm not sure if it's permitted to reprint the results on a web page though...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 05:28:39 PM »

Hi Sasha :) I'm not saing that NOD32 isn't good AV, I admit that it's very good, but It's not fair to publish lies(about VB100 tests) on their site just to recieve more customers. That doesn't seems right to me  ;)

Yes, you're right there... and that shouldn't be the case with any other software product out there. Words can tell you much, but action is what we all need to see. We want our programs behave as their developers promised.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
Hi folks in this thread,

Can I express my view here. It is rather extreme, and some would not like to agree, but polonus thinks that AV testing is completely futile. There are no good standards, it is like your own annual check-up a guarantee that goes as far as to the door. No what counts for me is what users say about a product, why a users' forum like this one has so many members. These are things that count not a tests where this weeks number 10 is next weeks numer 1, and number 1 is next weeks number 10, and where different and unique solutions are compared on an unequal basis. Testing can be done, but the results are just the results of that moment.

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 07:31:06 PM »

I am inclined to agree with most of what polonus says above. These programs change all the time ... sometimes for good but unfortunately, sometimes for not so good. So, as polonus says, a change may make one program #1 this week but another change might make the same program #10 next week. And this may not be a change in the same program (though it could be) but a better change in still another program.

Although, polonus, I do not think av testing is completely futile. Surely, testing could be a lot better. But, without testing, many programs may not be changed by the natural competitive nature to be better. I do not think this would be the case with the Avast team because I think (and they have shown) that they truely care about providing the best av service that they can. This is shown not only in the Avast av but also in this forum ... by both the users and the participation of the the Avast programmers as well. But, there are those programs that would just crawl along at a snail's pace if they were not spirred by the competitiveness of tests to do better ... even if the tests are faulty and without good standards.

And, we, as members of the computer/Internet community, need those other av programs because not everyone will use the same one. We know that no matter what, some computers just do not react well to some programs while a seemingly similar computer does. A lot of that has to do with the ... ummm, person ... sitting at the keyboard. It is better that those others have some kind of av than none at all. So, it is better to have the competitiveness of these tests to "spir on" the less than optimal av's.

But, I do agree that the user base, user loyalty, and user comments actually give a better indication of how good an av program is. People talk about these things whether it is good or bad. After all, without the above user items, how long would any program last? Well, some will last because there are those people/corporations that think if it is paid for and no free version, it must be better. All of you know examples of that. Many of us are here now because some of those "paid only" av programs failed us when we needed them most.    >:(

The truth is that in life, money is not everything. Yes, money is nice to have plenty of but it is not the "cure all" some think it to be. Sure, money needs to be made in order to stay in business. Great service is also needed or there will be no money to be made. And this is the strength of Avast. I feel very fortunate to have left those "paid for only" av's and found Avast/awil ... an av company that truely cares about their customers ... even the customers who use only the free version.    :D

OK ... that's my 2-cents worth and I am sorry making this post so long. I will now step down off my "soap-box."    ;)

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
VB tests actually include more parts - besides the ITW test (which is the one you get the VB100 award for), there's also something like a zoo test - which is probably what you see on the page. You won't see these results unless you have the VB magazine.
I'm not sure if it's permitted to reprint the results on a web page though...
Thanks for the reply Igor. Although it can be this zoo test, the statements on the page are very oracular. For example here's the February test table:

The text in the blue says:
"VB comparative test
Windows NT workstations
February 2006"
and below are the test results, it's not mentioned the kind of the test, very oracular. So, from this table for example you can think that only NOD32 detects all viruses in the VB tests(not saying which test)
Although on the same page there is and test from 2001 where is mention and Alwil Lguard.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 10:40:51 PM by .:X:M:A:S:. »