Author Topic: IRC keylogger issue with Avast?  (Read 2451 times)

Zandog

IRC keylogger issue with Avast?
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »
I kept getting disconnected from IRC because of  Norton Internet Security's keylogger issue. I uninstalled it and installed Avast! instead.  I'm still getting disconnected frequently! Could I have missed something or is Avast affected by this issue? Any ideas?

Here's the full story.

An anonymous reader writes "Script kiddies have been taking advantage of intrusion prevention features of Symantec's Norton Firewall and Norton Internet Security Suites to knock users offline in IRC channels, according to an amusing post at Washingtonpost.com. From the article: 'Turns out that if someone types "startkeylogger" or "stopkeylogger" in an IRC channel, anyone on the channel using the affected Norton products will be immediately kicked off without warning. These are commands typically issued by the Spybot worm, which spreads over IRC and peer-to-peer file-swapping networks, installing a program that records and transmits everything the victim types (known as a keylogger).' Makes you wonder what other magic keywords produce unexpected results with Symantec's software."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/03/keylogger_utterance_spooks_nor.html

CharleyO

Re: IRC keylogger issue with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 01:48:45 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Zandog.    :)

Are you sure the Norton programs were completely uninstalled? Norton/Symantec is notorious for leaving behind junk files & registry keys that will effect the operation of any other av product. This might also be effecting your IRC.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: IRC keylogger issue with Avast?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:54:22 AM »
Another link worth looking at which is a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

After downloading and running this, reboot. It may be best to uninstall avast, reboot, install it again and boot again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security