Author Topic: Problem with voice in Yahoo messenger  (Read 3771 times)

Dovey

Problem with voice in Yahoo messenger
« on: March 05, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »
Right after installing Avast Home Edition I began having a problem keeping voice in Yahoo messenger. I have no problem talking, but lose the ability to hear every 3 to 5 seconds. If I tap the green "talk" button, I can hear again for another 3 to 5 seconds. This happens over & over. As a test, I hooked up my old PC (that has never had Avast on it) and everything works fine. I did NOT have this problem before installing Avast. I have since uninstalled it but the problem remains. Running WinXP Pro, with all Microsoft updates. I feel that a setting still remains, or perhaps an entry in the registry. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

CharleyO

Re: Problem with voice in Yahoo messenger
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 07:57:37 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Dovey.    :)

I do not use those IM things any longer (been 4 years now) but I am sure someone will be able to help soon.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 08:47:54 AM »
Really strange, as I have the latest YM and have not problems at all. I think we need to know one more important thing - your internet connection speed. Tried to re-install YM? Maybe it's a problem from it's side? As I said it works fine even with 256/128 kbps speed here.

Dovey

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 06:20:54 PM »
Sorry about that.  I have a dial up connection, VERY slow, usually 26.4. Yes, I have uninstalled & reinstalled several different versions of YM... the same problem with all. I would think it was something on their end, but this does not happen with my other computer & it  did not start until I installed Avast. I am thinking that I have no option but to reformat my hard drive & start anew, but this would be a hardship.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 06:34:05 PM »
With a poor connection like that you are going to have problems with any streaming audio or live chat/conference program.

I use dial-up and usually connect at 49-50 kbps even then when I used on-line conference facilities there were problems and that was more dependant on the audio quality bit rate of the transmission. If those in control of the transmission quality could turn it down to say telephone/mono quality you may have more luck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dovey

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 07:51:25 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I realize just how pathetic a 26.4 dial up connection is, nothing else is available back here in the boonies.  :)

Perhaps I have not been clear enough.... I have been using YM for over 3 years, same ISP & no problems. This began the FIRST time I logged into YM after installing Avast, & has continued even with Avast uninstalled.  This is a 7 month old computer & was working great before the install AND when I hooked up my old PC to see if maybe there was a prob with the ISP or phone lines ... everything works great, just as it did before I installed Avast on the new one.

This is causing more gray hairs & I certainly don't need them.  :(

Dovey

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 08:02:02 PM »
Two addition remarks. For some strange reason I am also unable to do a system restore to ANY time before Avast was installed (of course I tried that first).

Secondly, I am not a llama, I don't know why it says that, but it's kinda cute.  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 08:23:54 PM »
Two addition remarks. For some strange reason I am also unable to do a system restore to ANY time before Avast was installed (of course I tried that first).

Secondly, I am not a llama, I don't know why it says that, but it's kinda cute.  ;)
1. System Restore isn't something that I would rely on (as you have found), sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes it gives unexpected results, e.g. if you go back to a point prior to installation of a program, that programs registry entries may no longer work.

System Restore - Info - Troubleshooting
There are many, many reasons why a System Restore may fail. For example, see "Why are previous restore points not working?" in the "Troubleshooting" section of this official Microsoft page:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

There's lots more on that page that's worth reading too. Note especially the sections on "Does System Restore protect personal data files?" (the short answer: no); "What should I do if System Restore does not work?"; "Why are my restore points missing or deleted?"; "Why does the System Restore Wizard lockup?"; and so on. Just a few minutes on that page ought to convince just about anyone that System Restore is not intended for heavy-duty system protection!

More info:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm
http://www.google.com/search?q=system+restore+fail

You will be a llama! until you open your 'Profile' (button on every page) and change it to something more meaningful, like 'Life The Universe & Everything,' etc. ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dovey

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 09:11:25 PM »
David, thank you for your reply & for the links. As for the llama, I kinda like it now. (giggle) I'm off to do a bit of link reading.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 12:12:33 AM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.