Author Topic: How do I stop AVAST from deleting my files?  (Read 13288 times)

REDACTED

How do I stop AVAST from deleting my files?
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:07:58 PM »
Avast is fucking evil. How do I stop this horrible software from doing more damage to my computer?

Its already deleted a bunch of files, and there are around 90 files in the chest, and if I reboot it has a bunch of other files it says its going to delete under the threat tab.

I am unable to tell it to not delete these files. If I click on "Do nothing", then the "apply" button is grayed out. So my computer is on a suicide mission. Thank you Avast. You've given my computer AIDs & Ebola all rolled up into one.

If I uninstall Avast, then all the files in the chest get deleted, WTF am I supposed to do? How do I prevent Avast from deleting files on reboot?

And this verification bullshit, WTF, I can't even read these god damn letters.

REDACTED

Re: How do I stop AVAST from deleting my files?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:38:35 PM »
I'm afraid to reboot my computer for the same reason. When you rebooted, did it delete the files with a boot time scan?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »
Some files were deleted last night during a boot scan, I don't remember which ones, but mostly things were just put in the chest. Everything still seems to be running as far as windows 7 goes, but I haven't tried all my other programs. I know it screwed up a 3D graphics program I that I use, but that was easy to fix, as it had a built-in way to do a repair. I'm worried about my OS not booting though if I restart again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:56:20 PM »
Avast is fucking evil
No it is not, but if that is what you believe, why are you using it?
I am unable to tell it to not delete these files.
Yes you can.
You can specify what avast should do when something is detected in the settings.

The capcha is not BS.
It is there to help keep spammers out of this webboard.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »
Avast is fucking evil
No it is not, but if that is what you believe, why are you using it?
I am unable to tell it to not delete these files.
Yes you can.
You can specify what avast should do when something is detected in the settings.

The capcha is not BS.
It is there to help keep spammers out of this webboard.

No you cannot tell it what to do. If I select do nothing, the apply button is grayed out. Maybe you have a problem reading english?

I am using it because I payed for it, after using the free version for many months with no problem. Now I have software which has turned out to be a bigger problem that an actual virus, deleting many files from my computer, causing more problems than any virus has ever cause to my computer. And you provide no answer but to question why I am using it. If I could see into the future then obviously I would not have paid for this shitty software.

Any more idiotic responses?

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »
I'm afraid to reboot my computer for the same reason. When you rebooted, did it delete the files with a boot time scan?

dont reboot with bootscan before you update the virus definitions, I  lost some 87 system and windows files after boot scan earlier this morning

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
Yes you can tell avast what to do if something is detected.
You can set the behavior in the settings as I told you.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »
I have the latest updates, but a full scan done after this still shows VBS:malware-gen on my PC. And I still have a ton of stuff in the chest. Many things will not restore, some did may many don't restore.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »
Yes you can tell avast what to do if something is detected.
You can set the behavior in the settings as I told you.

No, you cannot. Once a choice is made, like last night after the last scan, before I knew this was all fake, the choice cannot be changed. If you try to change the choice, it reverts back. Why is this so hard for you to understand? There are at least 3 other people that I've seen in the threads that have the same exact problem.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »
Don't agree with boot time scan if it offer to you. Delete scan history in options. Update definitions, restart pc and scan again. It should be ok now.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
Do I need any of the files listed in the attached pics from the virus chest? If I don't need them, I'm just going to uninstall Avast and be done with it. I still have almost 2 years (651 days of paid service left, but this is not worth the hassle.) Just someone from AVAST give me a straight answer.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 10:27:44 PM »

dont reboot with bootscan before you update the virus definitions, I  lost some 87 system and windows files after boot scan earlier this morning

The definitions have already updated to the latest version and I haven't rebooted with bootscan, so it sounds like I might be ok. I'm still wary about rebooting though.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 10:29:01 PM »
What part of "you can tell avast what to do in the settings" is it you do not understand ?

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 10:29:37 PM »
Do I need any of the files listed in the attached pics from the virus chest? If I don't need them, I'm just going to uninstall Avast and be done with it. I still have almost 2 years (651 days of paid service left, but this is not worth the hassle.) Just someone from AVAST give me a straight answer.
You definitely need those files. They are system files and you should all files restore to original locations.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 10:56:31 PM »
You definitely need those files. They are system files and you should all files restore to original locations.

Ok, I deleted the scan history, the definitions were already updated, running another full scan now, didn't want to chance rebooting yet until I get these system files restored.

But I'm still not able to restore the a lot of these files. If I click restore on most of them, it brings a popup message: "do you want to allow Avast to make changes..." If I click yes, the the popup message dissappears and nothing happens. I go to where the file location is supposed to be, and I have show hidden files checked, but I don't see the files, the files are not getting restored.

What is the secret to restoring these files? Is Avast throwing them right back in the chest without telling me? Am I supposed to click on "restore and add to exclusions" instead of "restore"?