Author Topic: Items in chest and still in original location  (Read 1690 times)

REDACTED

Items in chest and still in original location
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:40:53 PM »
I had a ton of false positives due to yesterday's issues and after doing a boot scan I have a lot of items in my virus chest, almost 90. After reading up on all the issues people were having I figured these are all false positives as well, but when I try to restore an individual file the option is grayed out. If I try to restore 2, the option is clickable, but nothing happens when I click it. If I select all files at once and click restore, a window pops up telling me that x file that I'm trying to restore already exists and asks if I want to overwrite the file or skip it. This same window shows up for about half of the files before Windows 10 asks if I want Avast to make changes to my computer. If I allow it, it still doesn't move the other files out of the chest.

It's as if the virus chest only has a copy of each file and left the originals alone. I've never had to look through my chest before so I'm wondering if this is normal and what I should do about it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Items in chest and still in original location
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:25:45 AM »
copy of files remain in chest when you restore, just in case

avast FAQ    search for chest and find info  https://support.avast.com/support/home

Offline gisot1

Re: Items in chest and still in original location
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:54 AM »
copy of files remain in chest when you restore, just in case

avast FAQ    search for chest and find info  https://support.avast.com/support/home

Well, that's not true per avast's explanation for restoring files. Explanation says "Restore option MOVES a file from virus chest back to it's original location, meaning there shouldn't be a copy left in the virus chest. (See attached explanation cropped from the link you provided)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:03:44 AM by gisot1 »