Author Topic: Something creates volumeInformation.exe on my USB Flash Drive - how to prevent ?  (Read 16720 times)

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
That scan is still pretty clean.  What about the aeldr.exe file?  Did you test it at VT?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Hmm is (or was) incredimail installed ?

REDACTED

That scan is still pretty clean.  What about the aeldr.exe file?  Did you test it at VT?
No I forgot to test it with VT. I just moved it to quarantine.

And the other file - "ExcellToXml.exe ", I have not deleted it. It is still there.

Hmm is (or was) incredimail installed ?
Yes. Incredimail is installed on this PC. My mother in law uses it for email. This software is simillar to Outlook as I know. Can this software harm the PC?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:44:22 AM by dafarulia »

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Do you have the VirusTotal link for the Incredimail file?  Best I can tell is that the application uses ads to support the company but that does not mean anything malicious is going on.
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

Do you have the VirusTotal link for the Incredimail file?  Best I can tell is that the application uses ads to support the company but that does not mean anything malicious is going on.

https://virustotal.com/en/file/a368a60da5e66fa34494b9f5b498783f99603a7f8269f45eeb3a921442158fce/analysis/1488289440/

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
That file is fine.  I would say your system (or your Mom's system, in this case) is good to go.  Is the AV scanning correctly?

REDACTED

That file is fine.  I would say your system (or your Mom's system, in this case) is good to go.  Is the AV scanning correctly?
Once we visit her I try to scan whole PC with Avast AV.

One question. Can you reccomend me some encryption tool to protect my USB Flash Drive? I have to use Flash Drive on different PCs and some of them may have viruses. I already have McShield on my PC, but I can not install it on PCs of all the people I have to work with.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I have to use Flash Drive on different PCs and some of them may have viruses.
MCShield will protect your computer / flash drive
Other users need to install it on there computers if they want protection against malware that use USB drive to spread

REDACTED

I have to use Flash Drive on different PCs and some of them may have viruses.
MCShield will protect your computer / flash drive
Other users need to install it on there computers if they want protection against malware that use USB drive to spread
I can recommend it to people I know well, but when I see a person first time in my life - it's difficult.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
If you after using your flash drive in another computer see your MCShield detect and clean when you plug it in your computer, you should tell them that they have a infected computer and recomend MCShield   ;)   

IMHO mcshield should be installed on all scool, hotel, printshop, internet cafe, computers. It would save them fore lots of trouble

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:08:50 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

If you after using your flash drive in another computer see your MCShield detect and clean when you plug it in your computer, you should tell them that they have a infected computer and recomend MCShield   ;)   

IMHO mcshield should be installed on all scool, hotel, printshop, internet cafe, computers. It would save them fore lots of trouble
If the Malware encrypts files (making them inaccessible) on my USB Flash Drive I plug into an infected  PC of somebody, MchShield (on my PC) will not help.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

If the Malware encrypts files (making them inaccessible) on my USB Flash Drive I plug into an infected  PC of somebody, MchShield (on my PC) will not help.
Correct, MCShield is not a antivirus and does not detect ransomware, it only detect those malwaretypes that use removable drives to spread

For ransomware protection you should always have backup of your file(s)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:01:14 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

I have uploaded the volumeInformation.exe (the file I have mentioned in the title of the tread) to VT again. Just to see how many Antiviruses recognise it. Vt says only 28 of 58 recognized it. Kaspersky has disappointed me.  :P

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0e239235388c2c6d015c942dd66acf46580d897041bf218cb3a7a136c733eee8/analysis/1488432035/