Author Topic: ashQuick.exe-Error: During open ATL dialog. Error number: -1  (Read 4417 times)

LTS

ashQuick.exe-Error: During open ATL dialog. Error number: -1
« on: December 15, 2005, 06:20:11 AM »
Hello,

After the recent update, I am getting the error "Error: During open ATL dialog. Error number: -1" when trying to use ashQuick.exe.  Not having this problem on my desktop, only my laptop...and only since the update.  It gives the same error whether I try to scan an individual file or download from Windows Explorer or whether I try to just open ashQuick.exe from the Avast folder.  I never had problems with this before the update.  What could have changed or better yet, how do I fix it?  I'm an avid ashQuick scanner before I open any new download. 

And yes, I am experienced enough that I did a search in the archives for this subject and followed all of the links attached to the posts I found.  First, most of the prior posts applied to this problem with avast in 2003 (I'm much more current than that...in fact totally current).  Within the past posts though, using WindowBlinds was sometimes to blame.  To my knowledge, I don't have or use WindowBlinds, because I don't even know what that is.  Does anyone care to enlighten me on that?  Second, I never had a problem using askQuick.exe prior to the latest update...so WindowBlinds, whatever it is, cannot be the problem??  Does anyone have a fix for this error considering I'm fully using the current Avast updates and only having this problem on one computer....which didn't have the problem before the update...ever?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I don't like not being able to use ashQuick.exe at my command.  :) > :(

LTS
P.S. OS is XP SP2 (fully updated), of course Avast anti-virus, use Firefox as browser, firewall is ZoneAlarm (via EZ Firewall Computer Associates), SpywareGuard always activated and fully use Spybot and Adaware to the fullest (same on both computers). 

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: ashQuick.exe-Error: During open ATL dialog. Error number: -1
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 10:39:58 AM »
Try repair of avast installation.

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Avast! Antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Repair.

BTW what language version of avast are you using?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

amanapart

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 08:38:05 AM »
I am having the same problem ... a "repair" had no effect ... reinstall?

amanapart

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 08:47:55 AM »
OK, mebbe I am just not that bright ... I tried to stop "On Access Protection" and then restart it.

Stopped OK, then I got a "skin error" .. followed the web site instructions to fix that, restarted "ON Access" and everything now seems OK again.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 07:06:31 PM »

Welcome to the forums, LTS & amanapart!    :)

amanapart ... you should reduce the size of your picture/avatar.    ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 07:43:24 PM »
Welcome to the forums amanapart, you can use this one for your avatar if you want.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LTS

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:41:50 AM »
Wow, I forgot I asked about this because I managed to fix it on my own.  Thought I'd post the solution that worked for me in case others can use it.

Although this isn't the same error message, the following answer from the FAQ re: a different error worked for me.  I don't remember what made me try this (out of desperation maybe) because it wasn't the error I was getting (see my original post above), but it worked for that error message as well.

Q: I have installed 'avast! 4 Home' and everytime I try to open it, I get an error message stating: "unknown error message", "Application cannot load skin. Function usiGetSkin Failed". How can I fix this?

A:

1. Select START -> RUN...
   2. Enter the following command:
          * If you have Windows NT or 2000:
            C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
          * If you have Windows 95, 98 or ME:
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
          * If you have Windows XP:
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
   3. Press OK (or Enter).
   4. A message saying that the file was successfully registered should appear.

Fixed the problem for me.  Give it a try.  Good luck.
LTS

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »

Thanks, LTS, for coming back and posting a solution that worked for you.

Please come back more often, learn more, and maybe help others.    ;)