Author Topic: XP Firewall  (Read 2278 times)

mcleodbj

XP Firewall
« on: March 15, 2006, 12:21:11 AM »
Hi Everyone
Avast has been recommended to me and I will install it tonight. I understand that I will have to remove any existing anti virus software that is on my machine. So i also have to disable the xp firewall, or should I leave this active.
Many Thanks
Brian

timcan

Re: XP Firewall
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 01:31:56 AM »
Welcome mcleodbj to the forum.
 Leave your firewall active, it will not interfere with install. In fact you might consider a third party firewall that controls outbound transmissions. :)
 Yes,be sure to uninstall other av first.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 01:51:22 AM »
Yes to uninstalling any current resident anti-virus.
No to disabling your xp firewall (it is better than no firewall), avast isn't a firewall, it does have Network Shield (limited intrusion detection) but not a firewall.

You would be advised to seek out another firewall as windows xp doesn't provide outbound protection. A forum search for avast and firewall should produce some hits as this has been covered many times and there are a couple of polls about firewalls.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GhosTT

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 04:57:53 AM »
Brian,
 Other's might argue with my choice, but I have had good luck with the free firewall from Zone Alarm.